Answered

Solving connection issues with my music libary

• 20 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Only about 50% of the time can I rely on Sonos to play items from my music library when I want it. Most often when it doesn’t work it’s because a software update has been posted, and that completely freezes the system until I apply the update.  Usually I lose my queue at that point, and often in addition I find music won’t play because my “server cannot be found” or because the controller can’t find the speakers, or both. This occurs constantly and it’s a HUGE inconvenience. 

Have a small system w/ 3 older speakers (A Play One and 2 Sonos Ones. One of the Ones had Alexa; but I have killed her.). I keep my personal music library on my desktop hard drive. My router is an Xfinity XB 7-T.

A few days ago it was playing nicely but I paused play. When I went back to it, it would not play because it needed an update. After the update, it said it couldn’t find the server. The various contradictory “solutions” I find online to that issue don’t always immediately produce a fix. Two days haven’t solved the problem but I now have in addition, one speaker flashing red with the controller unable to find it.

Long story but my question is, would I be better off, rather than spend days fiddling around with “solutions” that don’t work, turning off all speakers, deleting the Sonos app, and starting over again from scratch like a new installation?  Are there drawbacks to that? 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 20 December 2023, 20:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d start by having the updates be installed automatically in the middle of the night. I never notice any updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Keep in mind that Controller updates are optional and if you don’t update the controller you won’t have to update the hardware. But yes, once you update the controller you need to update the hardware.

The simple solution is to not update the controller, maybe set in your controller devices settings to auto-update.

Solving the update related issues is likely as simple as adding static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices using your router’s DHCP Settings pages followed by powering down all Sonos, rebooting the router and powering the Sonos back up.

Thanks for your answers. Altering the timing/installation of the updates should prevent updates from derailing other elements of the setup and now, home from seasonal travel, I’ll get right on that.