slow app and music being disrupted

• 28 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

So I got 4 Sonos 1 and one sub since 8 years and recently added an era 100 for my restaurant. While I’m happy with the amazing sound quality, I’m increasingly annoyed with the very lousy performance of the app and also sound disruptions, which is unacceptable. I’ve did EVERYTHING which the so called  Sonos technicians (perhaps they are bots) recommend. Got 1Gb fiber and then a latest generation mesh which is guaranteeing at least 600mb up and download in the whole restaurant. Sometimes I even shut down the power of the whole restaurant to reset all the speakers. Doesn’t work. Network is optimized for interference (coz that’s another argument or excuse Sonos uses). Curiously enough, when I play Spotify through the Sonos app I got random disruptions and when I use Spotify directly and connect to the speakers it NEVER disrupts. Starting the app when I want to control the music Takes ages. So this is so upsetting im really starting to look for another brand. I’m tired of all those excuses sonos techs are using thinking that their users are dumb. I’m myself a software engineer and they should be ashamed. Again, speakers are the best as well as the calibration but the super bad software platform ruins it. Oh yeah and now they will release a brand new app on the 7th of may. Another joke ? 
someone can perhaps give me some thoughts on this ? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The best approach with a Mesh network is to connect a single Sonos device into the base mesh network unit and then let Sonos create it’s own Sonos Net mesh network.

If the problem persists, then please my post: 

Userlevel 3

That’s an interesting option I will try. I will connect the one era100 to the base mesh and let the era100 create a Sonos mesh. Do I have to reset all speakers for that ?

thanks anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos will pick up the new network possibilities, usually within a few minutes.

The Era won’t do Sonosnet, it will do Ethernet if you add the Sonos module.

Wiring one of the Play 1s / Ones to Ethernet would get all the Sonosnet capable ones using it.

Userlevel 3

Also if I wire the sub which is closer to the router ? 
I hadn’t thought of the incompatibility with the era100. Yesterday I connected it to the Ethernet with an Ethernet-usb adaptor and that didn’t seem to help. So let’s try with the sub and the as a back up I’ll take a longer cable to connect one of the Sonos 1. 
thanks a bunch !

The sub is a secondary device, bonded to a Sonos speaker. In general, you should be running an Ethernet cable, when possible, to a ‘primary’ speaker. A secondary ‘bonded’ device doesn’t send the necessary data to be a SonosNet source. 

Essentially, surrounds and Subs should never be considered a source of SonosNet. They can be wired to your router, though, if there are causes of concern for wifi interference . But they won’t be generating a SonosNet signal.