Skip to main content

Sirius XM Radio and other "stations" need a persistent play feature

• 26 October 2023
  • 1 reply

I am having trouble at a client location where Sirius XM radio stops playing without any warning.  This can happen if a device updates and can happen for unknown reasons.

What I would like is a way to set a SONOS zone to a station and have it play continuously, forever, as long as it is able.  That means, if a source is interrupted or stopped for any reason, it would resume playing on its own.  It would repeatedly try to re-connect to the stream.  Since the looping playlist button is grayed out during station play, perhaps replace it with a persistent play button to effectively do the same thing and play forever.

I have seen a lot of complaints about Sirius XM radio and even Spotify on these forums, and this is a simple feature SONOS could add to their devices that would band-aid this problem for everyone - if people have some reason why their stream is interrupted, it would auto-resume, perhaps with a 1 minute retry interval.

Does SONOS read these forums and use them to build new features and capabilities? I sure hope so.

Tim

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

That is all on the service, they stop the stream if there has been no input from the user after XXX minutes.  They do it to save bandwidth.  The only thing Sonos could do is automatically switch stations and switch back, but that would cause interruptions, and is probably against the terms of use with Sirius.