Answered

Simplify my morning process with two dynamic playlists

• 16 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Every morning I do this to get music going:

I add a playlist from my music server to the queue on my Move. Then I add the ‘My Supermix’ playlist from youtube to the same queue.

I shuffle the contents, and press play.

Is there an easier way to do this? Both playlists are dynamic.

Can I create a Sonos playlist that contains a reference to the playlist on my music server, and a reference to the Youtube ‘My Supermix’, so that all I have to do is open that playlist, shuffle it and press play?

Thanks!

PS - I realize this is an insanely first world problem to be having. In my defense, it’s taken me quite some time to get my environment working this well.

David

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 December 2022, 10:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dbuttrick 

Thanks for your post!

I don’t believe there is a better way, but there are people here who have spent a lot more time using the Sonos app than I have - I may be proven wrong.

I also don’t think you can put a playlist in playlist, though I do see why it would be a reasonable thing to think you can do. I think the general consensus (among who, I’m not sure) is that if you want to add a playlist to a playlist, just add it’s contents instead. This thinking pre-dated dynamic playlists, but hasn’t changed.

You can upload your own music to YouTube Music - perhaps there’s a way to do what you seek entirely within YouTube Music playlists?

I hope this helps, but I realise it’s not much - I also hope I get the ball rolling and we’ll hear some ideas.

Seems like putting a Sonos playlist in a playlist might be challenging from a code interpretation/memory aspect. I could easily see setting up a new playlists with two or more  playlists which would, individually, be under the memory limit, but when combined, way over it. As a coder, how do I handle that case? If ‘random’ is turned on, clearly I can’t ‘expand’ one list into memory, then swap it out for the next list, I’d need to keep all of the lists in memory in order to do that ‘random’ function.

I would suspect this might be a reason why playlists can’t exist in playlists….but it’s also entirely possible my assumptions are flawed.

On the other hand, this would be an easy way for a user to get around that ~65k limit ;)

Seems like putting a Sonos playlist in a playlist might be challenging from a code interpretation/memory aspect. I could easily see setting up a new playlists with two or more  playlists which would, individually, be under the memory limit, but when combined, way over it. As a coder, how do I handle that case? If ‘random’ is turned on, clearly I can’t ‘expand’ one list into memory, then swap it out for the next list, I’d need to keep all of the lists in memory in order to do that ‘random’ function.

I would suspect this might be a reason why playlists can’t exist in playlists….but it’s also entirely possible my assumptions are flawed.

On the other hand, this would be an easy way for a user to get around that ~65k limit ;)

I’m thinking you’d also have to deal with the  “infinite loop” scenario,  For example, you have playlist A and playlist B.  If A contains B, and B contains A...you have a problem.  You’d have to code around this situation, create some validation too prevent this from happen, or a hierarchy of playlists of sorts.   That would add complication and take away resources from a feature that wouldn’t likely see a ton of use.