Skip to main content
Answered

Simplify my morning process with two dynamic playlists

• 16 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Every morning I do this to get music going:

I add a playlist from my music server to the queue on my Move. Then I add the ‘My Supermix’ playlist from youtube to the same queue.

I shuffle the contents, and press play.

Is there an easier way to do this? Both playlists are dynamic.

Can I create a Sonos playlist that contains a reference to the playlist on my music server, and a reference to the Youtube ‘My Supermix’, so that all I have to do is open that playlist, shuffle it and press play?

Thanks!

PS - I realize this is an insanely first world problem to be having. In my defense, it’s taken me quite some time to get my environment working this well.

David

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dbuttrick 

Thanks for your post!

I don’t believe there is a better way, but there are people here who have spent a lot more time using the Sonos app than I have - I may be proven wrong.

I also don’t think you can put a playlist in playlist, though I do see why it would be a reasonable thing to think you can do. I think the general consensus (among who, I’m not sure) is that if you want to add a playlist to a playlist, just add it’s contents instead. This thinking pre-dated dynamic playlists, but hasn’t changed.

You can upload your own music to YouTube Music - perhaps there’s a way to do what you seek entirely within YouTube Music playlists?

I hope this helps, but I realise it’s not much - I also hope I get the ball rolling and we’ll hear some ideas.

Seems like putting a Sonos playlist in a playlist might be challenging from a code interpretation/memory aspect. I could easily see setting up a new playlists with two or more  playlists which would, individually, be under the memory limit, but when combined, way over it. As a coder, how do I handle that case? If ‘random’ is turned on, clearly I can’t ‘expand’ one list into memory, then swap it out for the next list, I’d need to keep all of the lists in memory in order to do that ‘random’ function.

I would suspect this might be a reason why playlists can’t exist in playlists….but it’s also entirely possible my assumptions are flawed.

On the other hand, this would be an easy way for a user to get around that ~65k limit ;)

Seems like putting a Sonos playlist in a playlist might be challenging from a code interpretation/memory aspect. I could easily see setting up a new playlists with two or more  playlists which would, individually, be under the memory limit, but when combined, way over it. As a coder, how do I handle that case? If ‘random’ is turned on, clearly I can’t ‘expand’ one list into memory, then swap it out for the next list, I’d need to keep all of the lists in memory in order to do that ‘random’ function.

I would suspect this might be a reason why playlists can’t exist in playlists….but it’s also entirely possible my assumptions are flawed.

On the other hand, this would be an easy way for a user to get around that ~65k limit ;)

I’m thinking you’d also have to deal with the  “infinite loop” scenario,  For example, you have playlist A and playlist B.  If A contains B, and B contains A...you have a problem.  You’d have to code around this situation, create some validation too prevent this from happen, or a hierarchy of playlists of sorts.   That would add complication and take away resources from a feature that wouldn’t likely see a ton of use.