Skip to main content
Question

sign in as system owner issue for two sonos accounts

following the upgrade. Myself as the primary system owner can use the app fine with no issues.

My partner who has her own sonos account and Spotify account has completed the upgrade but when logged in under her own user a display on the home page reads ; sign is as the system owner to see this content.

The preferred services are set to her Spotify account and whan spotify is clicked from the home page access is as it should be.

However sonos favourites is showing the system owners favourites.

So i signed in as the system user e myself] as advised by the sonos live chat agent, and made sure the settings for Spotify etc were set. The home page remains the same, with my recently played and my sonos favourites.

If we try to use that way if conflicts if we use at same time so I returned to the log in of my partner and started again.

Deleted app, reinstalled, cleared cache . no good. the live chat agent recognised the issue but did not seem to grasp how it worked previously before app upgrade and how the two separate accounts should function.

He gave up and referred me to phone line where i am patiently waiting on hold. I guess busy because i seem to have read this is becoming a common issue

Our problem is on iphones.

So if anyone has encountered this problem and found a fix you may save me some time from listening to badly chosen piped music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Same issue. 

I think the recently played applies to all the accounts on the Sonos Speakers, even if that’s multiple Spotify accounts. The separate controllers though can each have their own pinned categories - all users though still use the same Sonos Acount, but just use their own Spotify account, each installed from their own controller device.

Maybe hide the ‘recently played’ pinned category if it’s causing you issues.

Can’t do anything with Sonos app due to “Sign in as the System Owner” error. Website says no projected fix for this problem. My speakers have been rendered completely useless. 

Can’t do anything with Sonos app due to “Sign in as the System Owner” error. Website says no projected fix for this problem. My speakers have been rendered completely useless. 

It must be a fairly isolated issue - I’m able to sign out/in on the Sonos App, if that’s the issue you’re facing?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m experiencing the same problem as Liz. My speakers are useless right now. 

I’m experiencing the same problem as Liz. My speakers are useless right now. 

What have you tried so far @Mattg-2024?

Any joy with an App reset in User Account/App Preferences?

Have you tried using a different mobile controller (if available), or connecting the App to a different ‘associated product’?

Having the same issue as Liz. Bought new Sonos Move and it’s now useless as of now. 

Having the same issue as Liz. Bought new Sonos Move and it’s now useless as of now. 

Here’s the link to contact/chat to Sonos Customer Support…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hope the issue gets resolved for you and any others here too.

It’s a known issue. There is no fix. Return it and check back in a few months to see if it’s fixed. 

@Santosh Shahare,

I’d still first check with Sonos Support, as there are several App updates already announced, including one tomorrow and I suspect the Staff will be able to resolve the matter anyway, if you can get to speak to them direct using the earlier link provided.  

Pour yourself a drink, clear your schedule. 

Yes, if the Sonos Move does get up and running as a consequence @Santosh Shahare  - the wait will have been worth it. It’s one of my favourite Sonos products.👍

Yes, if the Sonos Move does get up and running as a consequence @Santosh Shahare  - the wait will have been worth it. It’s one of my favourite Sonos products.👍

Yes hopefully the wait works out for @Santosh Shahare   I mean Sonos themselves say they have no fix but if you advise however many hours wait and unlikely the rep has a fix they

should def do it. 

Yes hopefully the wait works out for @Santosh Shahare   I mean Sonos themselves say they have no fix but if you advise however many hours wait and unlikely the rep has a fix they

should def do it. 

Well, ‘nothing ventured’ and all that …

Userlevel 3
Badge

My husband and I are having the same issue. When my husband uses his login he can’t do much of anything (can’t adjust system settings for example) and he gets the “sign in as owner” message (and we don’t know why my account is set as owner). 

I have the same issue.  I’m prompted with a “Software Update” message.  Click “Start Update”.  Next message is “Sonos wants to use “Sonos.com” to sign in.  Continue… Then I get, “sign is as the system owner”.  I am the owner!!!!  

I thought the issue was related to the change in wifi router yesterday but it appears that I’m not the only one having this “sign as the system owner” issue.  

Very, very frustrating.  Yesterday, the phone line wait time was 75 minutes.  This morning the wait time response was 5 minutes but it’s already been over 20 minutes.  

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this!!!! 

I was able to update fine, but I can’t access my system settings because I keep getting this error, event though I *am* signed in as the system owner. None of the work-a-rounds have worked for me. I can access everything fine from my windows app, but not my android app. 

Very annoying. It seems like every time I get an update something is broken for weeks or months before it’s fixed. I dread having to do an update at this point. Wish I could just opt out and leave it with a working system for a while. :/

Same issue, used to go seamlessly between work, home, and mobile Sonos. Logged into the wrong one after new update now can’t do a flipping thing.

Never had a Sonos update make anything better just break things. And I’m a serial Sonos addict. I have over 20 speakers in different settings. 

absolutely infuriating even deleting the app I have no way to log into another account, the damn error message from the app tells me to use a different account yet gives no options to input different credentials.

A QC UX UI issue this obvious gives me concerns for the company and brand as a whole. I’m essentially locked out of thousands of pounds worth of speaks because of poor software and a basic easy issue to spot and resolve,

I called the support line.   Waited for nearly an hour (55 mins) and then worked through the problem with Matt from Sonos.  It took about an hour but eventually he was able to clear up my issue.  If you make the call, it helps to have a second devise (ie.tablet) to work through the fix.  
All speakers are now functioning as intended.   Thank you Matt!  

I’m having the same issue.  It looks like some were able to get it resolved.  Can anyone give details on what to do to fix it?

Same issue. Bot was useless, no customer agents to help. After 12 years, this company has lost my trust it can do anything competently -- except sell new product and disappoint new customers.

I called the support line.   Waited for nearly an hour (55 mins) and then worked through the problem with Matt from Sonos.  It took about an hour but eventually he was able to clear up my issue.  If you make the call, it helps to have a second devise (ie.tablet) to work through the fix.  
All speakers are now functioning as intended.   Thank you Matt!  

Can you share what the fix is?

Hi - This post helped to resolve the issue for me…

https://techissuestoday.com/how-to-fix-sonos-sign-in-as-the-system-owner-error/

All I did was download the Sonos software to my Windows PC and completed the Sonos updated. After this was complete, I was able to access the Sonos app on my iPhone.

I hope this helps others. Sonos really need to up their game.

Same. I had an account for my first personal sonos then bought 4 more for my business (different email). Ended up taking them all home, had issues already then. A techy friend helped and probably made a new account. Have used all my emails but none are the system owner. Wtf. I own 5 speakers and a boost physically 😅 also changed wifi network name and password. But i can’t access anything without signing in as system owner 

It must be a fairly isolated issue - I’m able to sign out/in on the Sonos App, if that’s the issue you’re facing?

Not isolated enough.  Been on hold for over an hour because of poor Sonos quality.  Clearly they would benefit from foxing the bugs as their call/chat queue would drop significantly, but maybe they just can’t fix poor design.