Skip to main content

I was about to buy my first SONOS speaker(s) and just came across the comments about the latest App and the issues with it. Of course , now I’m struggling. Should I wait or buy something else. 

How bad would it be for a first time SONOS user? 

Is it more a problem for a longtime SONOS customer that lost some features / functions he or she used to have?

Thank you. 

I'd say buying now wouldn't be a bad thing, the chances that everything works for you are good. As others have said do be prepared for the worst and be aware of your return window and any charges.

Please, please, please believe that I am not challenging your response! I truly want to know: Why do you say that “the chances that everything works for you are good”? Is it your impression (perhaps based on some objective statistics somewhere) that newly acquired SONOS systems tend to work well with the latest software/firmware? Is it perhaps your impression that, despite the complaints heard around the world from what seems like large numbers of SONOS users, there are far more SONOS users who do not have problems (again, whether this is your instinct as a careful observer or a statistical measure)? Something else? Really, I just want to understand your reponse.

While there are a lot of people that have problems there are more that haven't had any or only minor ones. I'm in the mostly lucky group with minor glitches.

The risk of buying is minimal if as I suggested you watch your return window. 

Buy the Sonos you want, set them up and if you have no issues you are good. If you have issues I'd look to the forums first, then support, that gets most folks working.

Last resort box them out and return them. Buying local or from a place that makes returns easy (Amazon and Crutchfield) makes good sense during this mess.

Thanks, I do appreciate the reply. So it sounds like you’re saying the odds are good that “everything works” because it’s only a minority of SONOS customers who have had major problems. You’ve been tracking this much, much longer than I, so I take your assessment quite seriously. Thanks again.

I'd also be very curious where your stats are that determine that 'happy' customers with no issues and those with minor issues are the majority over folks with a 'lot' of problems. As far as I can see, this is a serious problem that effects the majority of Sonos users. What's being used to define small vs large problems? and who is determining that?!  For example I can't connect to Sonos via Spotify and the app keeps forgetting my system and then it locates it eventually. I'd say this is enough to deter me from buying anymore Sonos products, but an infinitely patient person might be fine with this. The fact is, there ARE real issues with the app whether small or large. If it wasn't for the the fact that the hardware is awesome, I'd suspect the company would have fallen from grace by now. It's been a shambles. Your metric seems to be that cause you're in the 'lucky' camp, all will probably be fine!? This is fallacious reasoning. I'd suggest stating clearly your opinion rather than presenting what looks like a fact without any stats. I'd be well annoyed if I bought a prodcut that had even the problems I face and had to send it back, cause I'd invariably write a bad review of the company and it seems you would like to avoid that @slworona 

@Cidr I agree, not what I would do personally, just wanted to clarify the basis of the “chances are everything works” assessment, which apparently had the implicit footnote, “and anyway you can send it back if it doesn’t”.

Buy direct from Sonos and you’ll have (I think - please check!) 30 days’ home trial period to assess your devices. 

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folk on these forums. If you have setup problems, explain what’s happening here and you should get helpful advice to try and resolve things. 

No..don’t buy direct from Sonos…buy from a retail store such as Best Buy or other reputable dealer. You can return them the same day if you find they are crap without the headache of mailing and waiting for a refund weeks later. 

It’s very, very much buyer beware at the moment. As Sonos is not cheap, most of us who are invested have little choice but to ride it out…

However, right now I would not personally recommend any friend to buy Sonos, as you might be ok in terms of initial setup, but equally it could be an absolute nightmare. If it is the latter for someone then that’s it, they’ll (rightly) return and never buy it again. 

Even if you do manage to get through the setup, the experience currently is a bit ****. Again last night there were issues with Sonos services so only my local library worked. To use Qobuz I had to Airplay from the Qobuz app as the Sonos App couldn’t connect to any services. Second time in two days. 

So a lot depends on what you are buying Sonos for. 

If you are looking at a TV system, then you could be ok (again if you get through initial setup) as once setup, the TV is the source and you don’t need to bother much with the Sonos App. 

If you re looking at Sonos primarily as a music source, then currently I think you will be frustrated to death after a short while with all the lack of function, unless you’re buying one speaker and are controlling it directly from Spotify. 

The lack of ability to edit and maintain a queue of music in the Sonos App currently is not a minor irritant, it’s a major lack of basic function in my opinion which if you want to start creating lots of playlists within Sonos will make you question quite quickly what on earth the Sonos team were smoking when they released this new app. 

@Cidr I agree, not what I would do personally, just wanted to clarify the basis of the “chances are everything works” assessment, which apparently had the implicit footnote, “and anyway you can send it back if it doesn’t”.

Makes sense. My last comment was for @Stanley_4  btw, wrong tagging :-) 

I would not go any where near buying any Sonos kit until they have fixed the app, as you have no choice other than to run that as a new customer.

It's been nearly 6 months now and not been fixed?.

Look at the APP reviews as the whole Sonos sytem revolves around It's APP.

I can't see how anyone with good conscience could recommend you buy in at this time.

Just have a good long read across this forum before you make your mind up.