Answered

Server Cannot Be Found error

• 17 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Frequently when I select a song from my music library, even from the app on my computer where my music library is hosted, I get the “unable to play xxxxxx, the server cannot be found” error.

If I clear the error message and tap play several times though, without changing, resetting, or touching any part if the system in any way, the song will start playing. So in some sense it’s a false error message, as all the devices  are on and connected and ready, and the system can do it, just not right away. It happens more often than not when I select a song these days, and it’s annoying. Anyone know what might be behind that or how to make it better?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 18 January 2023, 01:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If just from your local library I’d really look at the possibility of something going into low power mode and being too slow to wake up to keep Sonos happy. One of the reasons I moved my library to an SSD instead of a hard drive.

If it isn’t that it may be a noise issue, start here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reduce-wireless-interference

I find that SONOS is very impatient with respect to drive wakeup.

As an experiment: if your drive is sleeping, wake it with another App, perhaps a disk utility, then attempt to play SONOS.

Specifically, on your computer, does the computer have an SSD, but your music is stored on a mechanical hard drive? If so, the seldom used mechanical drive might go to sleep.