Skip to main content

I have played Plex music from Sonos for years. Yesterday when I opened any of my Sonos apps when I select Plex I get the message Unable to browse music. I rebooted Plex, reestablished the music service in Sonos and the same. I know Sonos can reach the music in Plex because when I play Sonos Playlists that have Plex music it works. Any idea?

Hi @BurlingtonCan 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If by “reestablished the music service in Sonos” you mean you used the Reauthorise option, I recommend you completely remove the Plex service from Sonos and add it again - sometimes that’s more successful in fixing authorisation tokens.

Remove a music service account from Sonos
Add a music service to Sonos

I also recommend logging into Plex from a browser and ensuring that your Plex server is fully up-to-date.

It’s also possible that a reboot of your router could fix things - please turn it off for at least 30 seconds, if none of the above steps helped.

I hope this helps.

What was described is what I had done. I have just done it again and no resolution. My Plex server is current. I have now also rebooted my router and still the same. It is strange as I can play music through the Sonos Playlists from Plex but not able to browse the music in Plex. All other services work. Any other ideas?

I can also cast from Plex apps on my phone or PC to Sonos without issue. Seams odd that there is no issues with Plex sending content to Sonos or Sonos requesting content through legacy Sonos Playlists that are coming from Plex but when trying to browsing Plex’s library in Sonos it displays “Unable to browse music”. I have no idea what it could be. Any chance it could be tried to the recent Plex popup for their new Streaming functionality that is causing the issue with Sonos?

Hi @BurlingtonCan 

Any chance it could be tried to the recent Plex popup for their new Streaming functionality that is causing the issue with Sonos?

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here, but my guess would be “no”.

I too have Plex on my own, personal network and have no problems with browsing Plex from within the Sonos app, so all I can say at this point is that it should be working for you too.

Could you please try browsing Plex within the Sonos app again and when it fails, immediately submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given when convenient? Thanks.

Thanks. Here is the confirmation number 2050597858.

I have also submitted a support diagnostic from my PC. Ticket 1046245949. The prior was from my Android Phone.

Android ticket did not appear to submit. Ticket Number 1980797283.

Since both apps are merely remote controls for the software that runs on the Sonos devices, there’s likely not to be a significant difference….but not a terrible idea, either. One hopes that they’ll be able to see something.  

Hi @BurlingtonCan 

Thanks for the diagnostics.

I see a few issues which we need to take care of. First, if you haven’t been adjusting the ethernet cable going to your Playbar, please replace it as it is reporting disconnections.

Secondly, please remove the WiFi credentials from your Sonos system - Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks » tap the black circle next to your WiFi.

As you have a Ubiquiti system, please make the following changes:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

Next, please check Plex again. If it fails as before, please remove power from the Amp and try again - is there any change?

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to make the setting adjustments. Ubiquiti has changed the menus so I believe I have made the necessary changes mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback on the Playbar cable. I tested the cable and it comes back good. 1 connection was not complete plugged in so maybe that was causing it.

Unfortunately it has not resolved the issue.

Hi @BurlingtonCan 

Thanks for trying those steps. Is your Plex server connected via ethernet? If not, please do so.

It’s promising that you can play track via existing playlists - clearly a connection can be made, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t browse too. The diagnostics report transport errors, but there’s no clear reason for them.

Did you try accessing Plex with the Amp powered down? If results are the same, I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will go into some in-depth troubleshooting with you.

I hope you find a resolution.

My Plex Server is connected by ethernet. 

I tied with the Sonos Amp unplugged and no changed. I will contact Technical Support.