search on local nas not possible

Badge

Tje ne update is completely focused on streaming services, but many steps back if you use a local NAS with your own music. It is not possible te search anymore?? 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tje ne update is completely focused on streaming services, but many steps back if you use a local NAS with your own music. It is not possible te search anymore?? 

No it is not. Unless you use the desktop app, for a limited time only. 

Badge

But is it comming back in the app you think?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

To just ignore a segment of their user base like this…I realize we’re in a minority, but holy crap, they’re actually going to insist I use their expensive equipment the way the way they want, as opposed to how I want?

Let’s see how this goes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

IMO opinion no, it’s gone for good. But I also think local libraries will be gone as well, eventually. Just my opinion and hopefully I’m wrong. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

IMO opinion no, it’s gone for good. But I also think local libraries will be gone as well, eventually. Just my opinion and hopefully I’m wrong. 

I just can’t understand their thinking on taking local libraries away. 

Since Sonos doesn’t value this customer base, are there good alternatives for those of us who like to stream both our local files and make use of streaming services?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I just can’t understand their thinking on taking local libraries away. 

Since Sonos doesn’t value this customer base, are there good alternatives for those of us who like to stream both our local files and make use of streaming services?

For sure there are alternatives, but you could also look at using Plex on Sonos for example. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I appreciate that.

Keep reading about Plex, but’ve had my music  sitting on my iMac for 20 years, so I need to investigate these things I literally know nothing about.

I’ve read this creating some issues with plex, as well. Is it your belief these will be short term?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I appreciate that.

Keep reading about Plex, but’ve had my music  sitting on my iMac for 20 years, so I need to investigate these things I literally know nothing about.

I’ve read this creating some issues with plex, as well. Is it your belief these will be short term?

Sonos hasn’t really improved local libraries in the last 20 years (other than updating SMB) so to me when they remove features IMO they aren’t coming back. Plus The new search has been available for like a year in the old app, they’ve had a lot of time to figure this out but haven’t. But I could be wrong. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Okay, how dumb is this question?

I used to sub a FAST channel called Plex. After a brief search, it appears That also has functionality similar what you’re describing.

Is this the same Plex that you’re talking about? It’s been a piece of software all this time? imagined it was hardware.

or am I an idiot and it’s a completely different Plex?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Missing features are coming back in the next few MONTHS. That is according to a response i had from Sonos. 

I am amazed that a company can remove features, without telling anyone, and then give them no way to get those features back other than to hope, wait and pray that they will indeed return. 

This is half finished Beta version. There are indeed some things i like and it looks a little fresher but for me it has ruined my user experience and i feel foolish for trusting in the update. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Missing features are coming back in the next few MONTHS. That is according to a response i had from Sonos. 

I am amazed that a company can remove features, without telling anyone, and then give them no way to get those features back other than to hope, wait and pray that they will indeed return. 

This is half finished Beta version. There are indeed some things i like and it looks a little fresher but for me it has ruined my user experience and i feel foolish for trusting in the update. 

But local library search was never part of the new cloud search which was available for a long time in the old app. I hope I’m wrong but the talking

points the Sonos reps use when asked about  this is use Plex or use the old desktop app. I guess we’ll see. 

Totally mind-boggling that there is no way to search the local music library on the web app.  

What is the recommended method for people to get a request for this feature in front of the folks at Sonos?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Okay, how dumb is this question?

I used to sub a FAST channel called Plex. After a brief search, it appears That also has functionality similar what you’re describing.

Is this the same Plex that you’re talking about? It’s been a piece of software all this time? imagined it was hardware.

or am I an idiot and it’s a completely different Plex?

Plex.tv - requires a Plex pass ($$$) to work with Sonos. Plex also requires some hardware to run on. Plex has a lot of added features that the Sonos library feature lacks. I usually use Plex Amp to cast to my speakers rather than the Sonos app. 

Another option is to plug a WiiM or similar devices to a line in on one of your Sonos device. Use the WiiM or whatever to feed your music to Sonos that way. 

But as more optimistic folks here have said maybe this will be added back and to wait it out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

To be honest i can do without the local search. What is killing the user experience for me is the loss of playlists, the queue function and the alphabetic quick search on my iPhone. Scrolling through over 600 albums is now a ordeal to get to the albums at the and of the alphabet. 

My trust in the company at the moment is shot, which is very sad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

To be honest i can do without the local search. What is killing the user experience for me is the loss of playlists, the queue function and the alphabetic quick search on my iPhone. Scrolling through over 600 albums is now a ordeal to get to the albums at the and of the alphabet. 

My trust in the company at the moment is shot, which is very sad. 

Queue function needs to come back ASAP and hopefully will. We’ll see about the other things as the list of missing features is incredibly long. Seems like a daunting task for a company that moves pretty slow with development and has new hardware on the horizon,  but we’ll see I guess.