Answered

S2 App not finding system, but system is functioning

• 8 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Set-Up: 2 rooms w/wired Arc’s, sub and surrounds. 1 room w/a Beam.

Network: Eero w/an extender

System has been working fine, with the occasional missing speaker after an update, but nothing like this. Updated Sonos app yesterday. Checked for a system (speaker) update, but didn’t find one in the app (Still unsure if there was an actual speaker system update). Everything worked as normal.

This morning my app couldn’t find my system - went through the app prompts on how to correct and was able to get them all connected. Soon after, the same thing occurred and my app showed the “Unable to connect to Sonos. Let’s fix it” banner. After troubleshooting, I checked to see if there were any updates to Eero or Frontier/Router, and the latter updated software overnight.

The really weird thing to me, is that even though the app can’t find the system, the speakers are all working with the tv (just can’t get S2 app to find the system).

I’m not very tech savvy, but when I look in the Eero app, I can see all of the connected devices like laptops, Nintendo’s, etc., AND there are 6 devices that show connected and they are all “Unnamed Device”. Below the “Connected” section, is another section titled “Recently Online” and I can see 8 devices titled “SonosZP”.

Based on the timing of the start of the issues, and when the router updated, I’m guessing that something is causing a network issue now. Any suggestions on how to rectify?

icon

Best answer by CPritch23 8 September 2023, 18:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Often after an update, devices on the network get issued new ip addresses but this sometimes results in some being duplicated. Power of all the Sonos devices and the router. Then restart the router. When it’s fully up and running, and ditto the wifi, restart the Sonos devices. 

If that resolves the issue, setting fixed ip addresses should prevent these issues in future. 

Hmmm. Tried that but it didn't work. The app saw the speakers but it couldn't connect to them, then the same "Unable to connect, Let's fix it" banner. The eero app looked the same with several unnamed devices connected, and the SonosZP in the recently connected section. 

Update...I'm not sure if this is why, but I unplugged the wired Arc’s and was able to get the system connected and everything functioning. I’ve then reconnected (wired) them and everything is operating as expected.

Does anyone have the process of how to assign an IP address to each speaker? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Go to your Router’s DHCP page, it is usually just a few clicks per device.