Answered

S1 Install on new computer

• 17 August 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello. I have an existing Sonos system and a new PC.  Play One x 2 , Play 3 X 1 , Play 5 X 1, Soundbar and a Bridge. I’m not keeping the old PC . When I download S1 it asks if I’m connecting to an existing or a new system. I’m guessing I select existing as the devices will all be registered with Sonos ? Computer is new and the old computer will not be on the network in the final system. Router remains the same.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 August 2023, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Existing. You’re connecting to all those ‘old’ S1 devices.

For what it’s worth, I’d highly recommend retiring the old BRIDGE, things can get squirrelly when the power supply begins to fail, and it becomes hard to figure out. 

Is there a specific path to removing the Bridge. Or just unplug it ? Would love to not use the Bridge .

Pretty sure there’s a FAQ out there, but you could easily just wire any of your other Sonos devices to your router, they’d all be able to take over the duties of the removed BRIDGE.

Here is that FAQ.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not recommended as it is usually wasted money but a Sonos Boost added to your system and then wired in place of your Bridge would also work. Minimal work but $100 or so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not recommended as it is usually wasted money but a Sonos Boost added to your system and then wired in place of your Bridge would also work. Minimal work but $100 or so.

The user’s old Bridge should qualify them for a 30% discount on a Boost.

Userlevel 7

Not any more, the Bridge now offers a 15% upgrade credit on any product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not any more, the Bridge now offers a 15% upgrade credit on any product.

You’re right, I just checked on mine. Likely changed when the Boost became EOL.

I’ve seen no official statement yet on the BOOST being EOL so far, but haven’t been looking, either. Given the advances in routers over the last several years, as well as being able to wire any Sonos device to act as a BOOST, it’s almost a moot point…but I’m still sitting on a pair of BOOSTS for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I haven’t seen any EOL notes but last look had it in the Sonos store’s Last Chance section.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I haven’t seen any EOL notes but last look had it in the Sonos store’s Last Chance section.

Right, its been in Last Chance for a while, which implies EOL to me. Also the 30% discount for Bridge owners to get new Boosts is gone as well.