Skip to main content
Question

revert to version 16.1

Hi everyone

Unfortunately, I updated to the newest Sonos version 80. Eventhougt I read all the bad reviews and therefore disabled auto updates. Stupid I am, I manually then installed the update by accident 🤦🏼‍♂️).

Whatever, is there any way to downgrade to v16.1 again? I don‘t like the appearance at all, everything seems buggy, symfonisk doesn‘t work properly, alarms can‘t be shut off, equalizer is hidden, I don‘t see percentage of volume… just everything is a mess to me.

Is there maybe a ‚testflight‘ version of the old version I could use again? Or any other possibility? I have an old iPhone backup from about a month.. if there is no possibility to revert back I have to swallow the pill, restore the backup even I will lose some data but at least having a proper app again.

I don‘t understand why sonos is releasing such a buggy app :-(

thanks for your help! ❤️

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi All

sinister development as just returned from a short break only to to try and play some music but it appears that all of the Sonos functions are blocked out and pushing me towards the upgrade option ? . I can only guess that this has been targeted through my email accounts log in details which I have used to access the forum ?? Therefore I would suggest that you do not use the same emails / log in details as your account as yo may be restricted in the use of 16.1 which was my only means of meaningful use but have now lost my Groupons and functionality?? This is a very underhand approach from Sonia against the very users it depends on to purchase and use there products ….. buyer beware as Sonos do not appear to be listening and fixing their app issues 👎👎👎🙄

LOL, no they did not backdoor you using your email.

Your speakers were updated to the latest firmware version which is not compatible with the old app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi lol how did they upgrade my system without the auto update function turned on as I was very careful to turn off all of the “auto” settings ??

Hi lol how did they upgrade my system without the auto update function turned on as I was very careful to turn off all of the “auto” settings ??

Did you delete and reinstall the app? This will reset this AFAICT. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi bumper 

many thanks I’ll try that and report any success ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You clearly did not have all of the auto update settings turned off.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi edmotain

thank you for your helpful comment but as I have not used the system for a while and I have checked all of my “auto update” settings it appears that you are advising that my system has been updated without my permission so I will investigate further but until then I will still be back to square one as all functionality has been blocked by Sonos

Hi bumper 

many thanks I’ll try that and report any success ?

I’m not saying you should do that. Just that if you had turned auto update off, but then deleted the app ( I mean it’s a buggy pos and reinstalling is sometimes necessary) this setting is reset on you. This is a reason why it could have updated without you knowing. 

Just to add reinstalling a controller should not enable ‘auto-updates’ - I would see that as a software bug, if that was the case. In my own use-case I have multiple Sonos controller devices, so it would not make sense if one showed the auto-update feature enabled, but all the others showed it as disabled.

I am fairly sure this is a system-wide setting on the product hardware and it’s ‘state’ is simply viewed by all the controllers attached to the Sonos Household.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi bumper

many thanks but I did uninstall and reinstall the 16.1 but unfortunately it did make any difference and all functionality know points to upgrade only which still leads me in the direction that Sonos have blocked all useful acces to my system via 16.1 which is a shame as this is wasteful waste of time and resources which would be better utilized in fixing their useless app upgrade and informing their users of their deepest regret in the inconvenience caused

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Ken

many thanks and I appreciate your comment but being non-technical you are way over my head and I still don’t understand how Sonos can update my system without my permissions or how suddenly I have now lost (again) the functionality which I had restored via 16.1 ?? But I guess Sonos have prioritized forcing the users to use their upgraded app rather than listen to their requests and reported issues??

Hi bumper

many thanks but I did uninstall and reinstall the 16.1 but unfortunately it did make any difference and all functionality know points to upgrade only which still leads me in the direction that Sonos have blocked all useful acces to my system via 16.1 which is a shame as this is wasteful waste of time and resources which would be better utilized in fixing their useless app upgrade and informing their users of their deepest regret in the inconvenience caused

If you look in the ‘About’ box (Settings/System/About My System) in your S2 Sonos App and look at the device list it will show you the version of the software installed on each one of your Sonos products. The current updated version is v16.3 - build 80.1-55014

Also IIRC in the S2 App if you goto "Settings/System/System Updates” - just see if ‘Update Automatically’ is set to enabled?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Ken

many thanks and I’ll go through all the settings again and make sure they are all turned off. Regards 

Hey @N2ck - my Sonos system is now working on my Mac. Almost magical except I had to start from scratch - reload the app and remap the music path from scratch.

1. I removed the desktop app and reloaded it for my Mac here: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads
  1. Remap the folder in Sonos - removed the old one and added the new path as outlined in the attached. It took 2 tries but it took and it worked. Looks like I have everything back as it was before the disastrous update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Swell

many thanks and although I do not have a Mac my son does and I’ll get him to give this a good look as it seems like a great work-around. I try the new app on the android via the upgrade from time to time and it would appear that they are trying to make this a usable app but it still has a long way to go as I can’t even clear the music que yet and the support instructions don’t correspond to the screen I’m seeing ??

thanks again 👍 nice one (shame Sonos can’t be so reactive to their users)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Queue management is being added back into the app by the end of August.

There is also a new app update coming this Monday, and a new firmware update was rolled out this week. It did poorly impact some Android users so maybe wait for the app update on Monday before running the System Update…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Rhonny

many thanks and I very much look forward to the upgrades but it’s a shame Sonos didn’t offer a “roll back” option to give them time to fix all of the issues raised by us the users (without whom Sonos would not survive) but we wait and hope 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Rhonny

many thanks and I very much look forward to the upgrades but it’s a shame Sonos didn’t offer a “roll back” option to give them time to fix all of the issues raised by us the users (without whom Sonos would not survive) but we wait and hope 🤞

Hope the app update yesterday helped!