Answered

Removing older Sonos product from S2 without resetting it

• 24 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Greetings, 

I recently bought a new Sonos Beam which prompted me to finally upgrade my system to S2. I now only have one device, a Play 5, that is not compatible with S2. The Play 5 is in my office so I’m fine with keeping it on S1 and not using it in conjunction with anything else. The trouble is the S2 app keeps telling me I have an incompatible product and I can’t upgrade anything until I delete it from the S2 system. I understand that resetting the Play 5 will remove it but am wondering if there’s a less drastic way to do it, as I have a ton of music services, playlists, etc. associated with it that I’m not relishing recreating. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 24 January 2024, 23:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@phd67 

As you said the official way includes a reset of your S1 device. 
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

Im not sure exactly, but I think a workaround could be to keep just the P5 in your existing S1 System, to reset all other devices and set them up as a new second system. For this you would have to plug out the P5 while starting the app and all other devices being in setup mode. 
Create a new S1 setup with them and upgrade to S2. This might work but on the other hand you will have to do a clean setup from the beginning for this S2 system. 
So I don’t know what would be more work. Recreating the S1 or the S2 system…

Keeping all settings for both systems won‘t be possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is all I find.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-sonos-products-that-are-not-compatible-with-s2

I don’t see a way to keep your stuff for the S1 Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

OK, thank you @Stanley_4 and @Schlumpf. I guess I’ll just bite the bullet, set some time aside, and do the reset. Appreciate the input. - Paul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A grand kid would probably have a great time “helping” you re-setup your Sonos.

Might even give you an idea for a birthday present. :-)