Skip to main content

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

Is there anyway we can collectively bombard Sonos witb complaints ?

Have you seen where you are?

Eh ?

This is a Sonos forum filled with people bombarding Sonos with complaints.

And your point is ?

Basically, it appears that Sonos have introduced the new App without full testing. The Lab rats for this are current customers. It looks like this thread has now run for at least 28 days. Regardless how many times we update the App and Sonos system it remains not fit for purpose. It is quite telling that the previous App had little issues. A sorry state of affairs. If the new products coming to market rely on this then Sonos need to think of the business damage being done to their brand. The CEO and Board need to look at other Brands out there that did not step up and resolve issues and the overall damage done to their business models. Time for sitting on the fence to stop,

I am the sad owner of a 12 speaker/connection system.  I loved it until this new app.  I am a tech geek as a side hobby in life.  I built a connected house, of which Sonos was an integral part, upgrading when the S2 system came out.  Now it feels like I own something out of the 1980’s, and at least then I could control my music manually 🙁.

Please tell me that Sonos is going to fix this.  You built a dream system, Sonos.  Do not let the dream die because you built a bad app.  Reset or fix it, please.  I suspect that this is already impacting your bottom line and sales.  If nothing else, that should be catching your attention.

It’s both comforting and disappointing to read that it’s not just me struggling with my Sonos system with this new app. I was very excited to purchase the new Ace headphones and now I’m hesitant. I can’t even get my current system to work properly with my phone or laptop...I have very low confidence in adding a new product to the mix. All of this and now I also have to use a web app. Not a fan. 

Until this morning I probably agree with most of the comments .of late I thought progress is being made but today it took a backwards step .trying to get access to the speakers after reloading the app three times .Then the track I wanted to play didn't want to know .the previous track kept playing not necessarily on the correct speaker .The volume of the speaker had a mind of it's own .it never settled down or was it me not settling down after spending an hour on this during breakfast .

I'm actually embarrassed for Sonos taking us down the yellow brick road going nowhere fast . I really liked the previous version which worked for me .

With this app I think they are trying to load all at once and giving up .Not a able to find the system , can't find speakers .it's a nightmare for us as the customer. 

So I resorted to the old speakers which cut out a lot and always trying to find the S2 app .

I love Sonos when it works properly but it's weeks now introducing this new app with very poor results 

GOOD LUCK

I am in Sonos hell with the “update” in place. Connectivity problems. No ability to queue . Unreliable. Glitchy. Keep losing one of my speakers. It’s embarrassing when I have customers and the vibe dies because Sonos assassinated it. Selling my speakers if anyone will have them. Need a new audio solution. 

‘good to see’ it’s not only just me :-/

Awful doesn’t even describe it.. it.just.doesn’t.work..

Where’s the time I was bragging about my complete Sonos setup…. now it’s an embarrassment !!! 

The other day I was casting some music from my phone to an old Google home mini, can you imagine ?!

Anyway, rant’s over.. bottom line, if this doesn’t get fixed soon I ‘ll be looking at an alternative setup/system.

Sonos? Where are you? Are you addressing those issues? Did I miss a statement or are you really hiding 🙈? I cannot use my system anymore with this app. It does not load, it crashes, it doesn’t show playlists, it stops playing in the middle of a song 😭 this is terrible 

It’s awful! Agree the volume control is super difficult to use. And the music drops in and out and just stops playing all the time. Absolutely dreadful for such an expensive system. 

Anyway, rant’s over.. bottom line, if this doesn’t get fixed soon I ‘ll be looking at an alternative setup/system.

I started this particular process weeks ago. I looked at BlueSound, I tried Roon.. was pretty decent, and was able to use my existing Sonos setup, but the monthly fee was a bit of a letdown.  I eventually settled on using WiiM. It’s players hook up to powered/unpowered speakers or audio components, and all become Google/Alexa capable. Since I’ve got a good Google ecosystem going in our house, it only made sense to extend our audio system in this direction. I’ve now completely replaced my entire Sonos environment, and couldn’t be happier… an app that actually works, and is able to play local music from my library or stream from my favorite music services, an app that comes up and identifies all my devices right away… timers and alarms actually functional. Go figure!

Sonos? Where are you? Are you addressing those issues? Did I miss a statement or are you really hiding 🙈? I cannot use my system anymore with this app. It does not load, it crashes, it doesn’t show playlists, it stops playing in the middle of a song 😭 this is terrible

This is the same thing my Sonos app would do most of the time. If it wasn’t lagging terribly after starting, it would just sit on this “loading” screen. The other half of the time, my devices would appear/disappear randomly… and my local music library would blink in and out. Frustrating that when you wanted to control the volume and the device wasn’t present in the app, that the only recourse would be to make the trek to the speaker to manually change it.  I did find that the Windows Controller software was much more stable. It could see all speakers, control what music gets streamed, had zero issues finding my local library share (yes, on SMBv2/3), and control volume. It’s a real shame they decided to go this “courageous” route. I just have a different name for it.

My wife and I have been battling with the new App for a month now. We agree with all the comments on here! It is driving us mad. Please, please can we go back to the old App while the new one is fixed. We have always loved our Sonos products but have to seriously consider what else to get if we can’t control any of our speakers!! can’t’ change the music, can’t start/stop the music, can’t adjust the volume, can’t search for music, can’t listen to any music!!!!!!!!!!!?Please help!!!!!!

Besides all the problems, they've eliminated so many features I loved. Can't add songs to a playlist except on a desk top, no access to your queue, no way to edit your queue, no features available on Pandora, and many others ..what a HUGE disappointment this update was and it routinely disconnects requiring a force stop and relaunch ..horrible for business 

Specifically which version is the best to switch back to? Thanks.

Specifically which version is the best to switch back to? Thanks.

Is it possible to go back to an older version if you’ve updated?

I thoroughly agree with comments above - the new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music and I cannot switch the music off - I have to pull the plug to the speakers from the wall to stop the music!  And trying to control the volumes of the various connected speakers is even worse - I adjust the volume in the app and it mysteriously changes itself back.  Adjusting volumes is almost impossible.

GIVE ME BACK THE OLD APP - it worked properly and well.  Not like this heap of cr*p which should never have been released in such a dismal and poor state.

When can I have the old App back??? When will these problems be fixed?

If you use android phone you could delete new app then download the S2 gold app from apk mirror 

Sorry DC76 I should have included the post that mentions this. Specifically which version from apk mirror is best to use? Thanks.

I spent most of today trying to reconnect my Sonos stuff after I had to reset my broadband and can honestly say that in 15+ years as a Sonos user I’ve never quite seen anything like this version of the app. It's shocking. I have done a number of tests as a beta tester with Sonos in the past so I’m really surprised that most of this wasn’t picked up by the testers.

For a start I had to create a new system - for whatever reason it could only see two of my devices (out of 6) so creating a new system was just easier and avoided errors like can’t connect this to your system. A lot of the issues are compounded by the fact that you have to power on and press a button at the same time and whoever thought putting a serial number of the bottom of the sub was a great idea needs to spend some time lifting one in the corner of a room whilst hanging over the back of a settee!

Each time I created a group - TV, sub, surrounds - go back 10 minutes later and its deleted the surrounds. Once you join them as a group they then all seem to come under the banner of the ARC - you can’t see individual devices unless you select “remove surrounds” and then you get a picture of what is actually part of the group but I just couldn’t see the individual devices like you could previously.

Then when you re-add the Play One for the 6th time, it asks you what room its to be joined to, you elect sitting room (where the ARC already is) and it creates sitting room1. My next Play One is now sat in Living Room 3.

Oddly my iPhone has a different view to my iPad - my iPhone tells me there are no products in my account and do I want to update my network (no I don’t!) even though I’m on the same network.

Some of the error messages are weird - unable to add devices to my account was what I constantly got until I decided to just create a new system.

I’ve literally just opened the SONOS app on my iPhone and its asked me if I want to join the speakers as surrounds. I said yes - its gone through the process of linking them to the ARC, got the audible sound to say its complete and its not linked them but has, once again, deleted them from my app.

Can’t access a lot of my music in Spotify - I can select one playlist but not another from the same account?

It would be interesting to know what the recovery plan is from SONOS - this is probably the most disastrous piece of software they have put out

Sorry DC76 I should have included the post that mentions this. Specifically which version from apk mirror is best to use? Thanks.

You want v16.1

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

I totally agree, the new app is shocking and I have all the same issues as others!!!!

Did Sonos hire a Bose employee to update their OS? This seems like sabotage to what used to be the very best user interface, to something that’s now just useless. I’m so aggravated with this new app update! What was so wrong with the previous version, that caused this disaster to takeover? This needs to be fixed once and for all, or I’m seeking out a new ecosystem. 

Same problems with app.  It is completely unusable.  I am considering moving from sonos to bose or some other system if this is not sorted very soon or an option to revert to previous app is not provided

I am not sure if this helps others, but just in case... After the app update, the new app had all kinds of problems. It worked sometimes but mostly not at all. And when it worked, it was so slow it was unusable. The volume control had a life of its own etc. 

After a week or so I was about to sell my speakers. However, I decided to check through all settings once more. I noticed that for whatever reason, the new app had picked up my old wifi network which it used alongside the new one. When I deleted it, everything went back to normal (including speed and all).

I will keep my speakers for now 😊

Sonos will not speak with tou if you open a case. I have a lot of the problems mentioned here as well as the mysterious speaker mutes itself syndrome. I have a roam in bedroom for my alarm which no longer works as it mutes itself daily when I am asleep. Cannot contact Sonos. Biggest new app fail I have ever seen. 

I agree with all of the above - how do you just disregard your loyal customers with absolute no solution! This is unacceptable!

Volume and choosing songs is very delayed. App gets locked on a song that is not progressing. The app freezes. Any advice? 

We are on the Sonos community but where is Sonos?