Skip to main content
Question

problems with new Sonos app

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

trying to adjust volumes is almost impossible and VERY VERY frustrating.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

when will these problems be fixed..?

New Sonos app totally unresponsive.  Volume control is slow & randomly jumping up & down.   For a high end system this is pretty poor.  Turned my system off last night only to find it playing this morning.  Looks like it’s been playing all night.   

Come on Sonos,  with all the issues & complaints flooding in since the latest update there has been no response from you.   Reading the blogs on here I sense it won’t be long before Sonos fans will be moving to other services.

Sonos— “SORT IT OUT"

Please can you roll back to the previous version of the app? The new one is unusable. It’s truly terrible. Not only is it unintuitive, but it doesn’t work! 

Please go back to the previous version.     This new app is junk.

The new Sonas app is awful. It typically will not connect to music even when the music is playing, hence I cannot switch the music of,

but worst problem is trying to control the volumes of the various sonas speakers. Even when I adjust the volume in the app it mysteriously changes itself back to the other setting.

fthis app should not have been released in such a dismal and poor state. It really damages Sonas reputation and brand.

I agree completely, this is horrible, unusable at this point. 

New Sonos app totally unresponsive.  Volume control is slow & randomly jumping up & down.   For a high end system this is pretty poor.  Turned my system off last night only to find it playing this morning.  Looks like it’s been playing all night.   

Come on Sonos,  with all the issues & complaints flooding in since the latest update there has been no response from you.   Reading the blogs on here I sense it won’t be long before Sonos fans will be moving to other services.

Sonos— “SORT IT OUT"

I couldn’t agree more, I am about to build a new house, any thoughts on alternatives, because Sonos is not the answer in its current state. 

Has anyone tried downgrading to the old s1 controller?  It wouldn’t work for those with new products I guess, but I have a mixture of both.  At least those would work as opposed to nothing working to a point that I can use it. 

has anyone seen any kind of response, or a sign of life from the Sonos people.  Hard to believe they have left us hanging for so long. 

I went looking to see whether this thread existed. Of course it did. I know we sometimes resist new things even if the usability and functionality is ultimately better. This is not that. There are so many attempts here to be clever that made the usability worse. And I am having the same buggy experiences as others here. This should just be rolled back to the last version until you have something worth releasing.

It’s been a month, I am still experiencing the same thing! 

Same story here. We’re long-time Sonos users with 19 products in our home currently. I’ve owned older Sonos products such as Play5 (gen1) and Boost, which we’ve happily retired in favor of improved products. 

All of the latest gripes highlighted in this post apply to our system. At one time I suspected that the cause of our problems was the 3 Eero routers we employ. After reading through this post, it seems clear that the problem is much bigger.

We’re holding off on our next Sonos purchase while the latest issues are debugged. Offer to Sonos: you might take advantage of users like me to beta test your software updates prior to release as there are a large number of router, connectivity, and speaker combinations.  

PeterZ

I changed up the setup to supposedly work better with our network, ubiquiti.  But the app struggles to connect and recognize devices and load favorites. It didn’t have these problems until the app change. surely they will make Fixes soon!  We have 12 products and are fully committed! 

We have a lot invested in your products. 

This update is a joke. 

FIX IT 

Since the “update” my Playbar loses its settings for speech enhancement and night sound. Every day both are disabled and I have to manually re-enable. This happening to anyone else?

Is there any solution yet? It is a complete disaster. I have 5 Sonos speakers that I used to be able to control separately, but not there is no way to deal with volume on any of them

I’ve had Sonos since the launch of the play 3, which I believe was the early 10s. At that time there weren’t many competitive alternatives, and Sonos was hard to beat across multiple metrics such as sound quality, features, design, and cost. To now fail this badly with so many other quality alternatives available is an unbelievable f-up.

Sonos hasn’t had much in the way of innovation lately, but the sound quality / cost quotient remains pretty good. Unfortunately, the ecosystem and connectivity options haven’t aged so well. This update, which should never have seen the light of day, has taken this weakness and increased it exponentially (by a sh*tload). It is just so unbelievably bad.

In short, please fix this because I would like to able to edit my queue.

The new Sonos mobile APP is inept, why it was ever released is a mystery, I have been a SONOS useer and my system comprises 2 x original play 1s, 2 x play 3s, a Sub all connected via an original Connect. I was advised to update my original Sonos Bridge to the newer Boost. Now because the new app is believe it or not not compatible with the Sonos BOOST, my system is useless.

Why dont Sonos just admit the new APP is not fit for purpose and let us all go back to the old one or would that be too easy?

It may be helpul for some of you to know that the standard computer app is still working, the old sonos app automatically updates to the new version which we all know does not work!

I have today had my 5th time caling Sonos Technical support, depending on what time you ring you could be waiting up to 2 hours to speak to a technician, simply because they are all talking to people like us that cant use the new app!

A technition told me that all calls are regarding the app and although all calls are recorded no notice is being taken of issues with the app. The tech guys have suggested that they move back to the older version but will not allow it. Are they perdantic or just very short sighted?

We all now it is inept, not fit for purpose, etc . . . 

If you install the old app it automatically updates to the new one, very frustrating.

If you have Sonos on a PC you will find that this works fine if you do not connect to the mobile app. My wife and I were watching TV last night and the speakers took it in turn to drop out because the new app had decided to connect to the system. The new app is absolute pants, just seems that the Sonos hierarchy will not be happy until they lose all customers to a competitors, rather than admit that the new app is an issue, and roll back to the previous version.

Totally agree. New app is absolute pants, I never had an issue with the old one but now the app sometimes can’t see all my products, changes settings on them, can’t stream music etc etc. 

can’t believe they launched such a poor product after having such a great one. I suspect it’s driven by “selling” something in the streaming world. Certainly isn’t based on achieving customer satisfaction. 

disappointed of Kent

awful experience. weeks waiting patiently a solution and a explanation. every time that I have to spend 1 hour or more to have the app recognize my pair of ERA, I lost something, access to local library, subscriptions, spotify integration.

Just terrible isn’t it. I cannot link my music files through the macOS app on my mac mini pro 2. Used to be easy… but that was all yesterday. has this company thrown the business under a bus?

same here,a complete joke,i have 4 speakers and not only can the app not find my system at all but both speaker sets show on the app ???? ....the volume is impossible to control...I turn one set up and the others cut completely, try the main volume and the other set cut....getting any sort of sound balance is a joke....why release an update before checking its not gonna f**k with people's sound systems ,i used to be able to tweak each speaker set and the balance feature was amazing...how can you mess up soooooo badly ???

How? By bean counters being involved , and not understanding their client base fully. Their headphones just launched were a complete joke. The media was being kind cos no one wants people to fail right,,it's important that business creates and drives forward otherwise where would we be. But this lot have got it so so wrong on many levels. primarily a speaker system for people who like music and have paid a lot to keep artists making it, so they can own it not rent it from streaming services etc. Abandoning , which is kind of what it feels like, the core base will not serve them well. The market is already flooded with bluetooth speakers that are as good an anything they make, and my Bose headphones despite Sonys effort are go to for years. They run the risk of wrecking their buisness. There's many firms out there that can do software well. Sonos aren’t one. Their previous dumping of support for early gear will never be forgotten and this sh>show is par for the course. The CEO should acknowledge the difficulties or what ever you wan to call making a mistake and take the business  back to looking after this that pay their salaries. Customer is ALWAYS right even if you think you are.

How? By bean counters being involved , and not understanding their client base fully. Their headphones just launched were a complete joke. The media was being kind cos no one wants people to fail right,,it's important that business creates and drives forward otherwise where would we be. But this lot have got it so so wrong on many levels. primarily a speaker system for people who like music and have paid a lot to keep artists making it, so they can own it not rent it from streaming services etc. Abandoning , which is kind of what it feels like, the core base will not serve them well. The market is already flooded with bluetooth speakers that are as good an anything they make, and my Bose headphones despite Sonys effort are go to for years. They run the risk of wrecking their buisness. There's many firms out there that can do software well. Sonos aren’t one. Their previous dumping of support for early gear will never be forgotten and this sh>show is par for the course. The CEO should acknowledge the difficulties or what ever you wan to call making a mistake and take the business  back to looking after this that pay their salaries. Customer is ALWAYS right even if you think you are.

exactly mate,had Bose headphones for years,never been tempted to go anywhere else because the quality matters more than the price....always assumed that with Sonos too...the pleasure has gone if it takes me a good 15 minutes to get the sound i want...and even then i know next time i use them it's gonna be the same "we can't find your system !" and endless volume issues....maybe just get my headphones on huh !! 

This app is a huge step back in functionality and user experience. Used to be able to have different rooms (speakers) linked and playing, since the new app release it is a jumbled mess. Speakers are not linked. App keeps linking different speakers. Volume control is lagging. 

Had to create a separate network for speakers and segregate rooms.

I can only imagine the frustration of users who are not technically effecient.

I want to stay a loyal customer, but this is making it difficult

Every time I open the app , yes I can force stop it to fix but shouldn't need to !!!

have exactly the same even though it shows all of my speakers on the app once i go to volume...but then volume doesn't work either !!