Answered

Plex on Sonos - browsing by folder

• 4 August 2023
  • 2 replies

When you use Plex server on its own (e.g. iOS app) you can review your whole library by looking at its folder structure. However, when using Plex to play on Sonos the only options are by By Artist and By Album, both relying on metadata that are notoriously dodgy. Why can’t Plex on Sonos replicate this most simple function? This is the only way forward… I am still using S1 - not sure whether it is worth investing in an upgrade to S2...

icon

Best answer by amun 4 August 2023, 19:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Yes, that’s what I found - it makes the Sonos Plex implementation effectively useless for me.

AIUI, it’s down to Plex, rather than Sonos.

And no, I don’t see the point in changing my kit just to ‘upgrade’ to S2 - it still seems to have all the old limitations, as far as local files are concerned.

The only thing that I’ve found that works better is Chromecast Audio (CCA) which was so useful and reasonably priced that Google killed it off - presumably so that they could justify their more expensive kit. I have a music server running on my Synology and a CCA plugged into the line in of a Play 5 Gen 1, and can access all my music in a folder view. It also plays ‘hi-res’ files natively. In the sitting room, my AVR offers Cromecast as well, so I can use it to play via the main system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are right. Many have asked Plex for this….