Please can you stop popping up adverts on _my_ hi-fi system

• 1 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have complained about this before but it seems that Sonos is not listening.

Despite having adverts turned off in my Sonos app, I still got one during the Christmas period. This is incredibly upsetting and frustrating. I'm paying YouTube for an advert-free experience and the last thing I need is my hi-fi system showing me adverts.

Please understand that it is my hi-fi and my home and you are not welcome to place adverts there.

It's already very disrespectful to place these adverts in the first place, defaulted to on, but to ignore the settings when I opted out is also incompetent.

You need to understand that this is something I can never tolerate. I would rather throw away all the Sonos players and buy a record player than accept adverts.

Sonos used to be a premium brand when I bought it back in 2006. The switch from dedicated controllers to apps was a downgrade. Using these to interrupt people who are trying to use the very expensive kit they purchased is just cheap and nasty.

I would like you to please acknowledge that this is a serious issue, and secondly to investigate and fix the issue that is causing unwanted adverts.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @larsj,

Thank you for your feedback regarding this, and this should be simple enough to resolve depending on what the advertisement was and where it was from.

If the advertisement was a promotion for Sonos, such a a discount or special offers, then you can turn this off on your Sonos profile. We have steps to do so listed on on support article here. There isn’t an option in the Sonos app to disable this, so you may have turned off the pop-up message option instead.

If the advertisement was from YouTube Music, which I’ve seen you mention (or another service) and you’re paying for the premium version of that service, then I’d recommend you reauthorize your music service account in the Sonos app. You can do this by going to Settings → Services & Voice → Tap on the Music Service you had ads for → Reauthorize Account. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I am not getting adverts from YouTube Music, because I am paying for the service and they are honouring my preference. The issue is with Sonos.

Here are my contact preferences:

It’s not right that you are expecting me to do this work on behalf of your marketing team. It especially stinks* that when I jump through these hoops to stop marketing that I never signed up for, it still doesn’t work.

(* yes, this is subjective language; it’s probably more applicable to say that if you are processing my personal information for marketing after I have withdrawn consent you are in breach of Articles 5, 6 and 21 of GDPR).

You really need to rein in your marketing department and fix their behaviour towards customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @larsj,

If you have those options disabled, then you shouldn’t be getting any promotional or advertising pop-ups in the Sonos app. I would recommend you reach out to our support team so they can look into your system and account to see why you’re still receiving these.