Playing on multiple devices via Spotify, etc.

• 23 May 2023
  • 5 replies

I’d like to be able to play on multiple devices via apps like Spotify.

Currently, the Spotify app allows me to select to stream to only one device. If I want multiple devices I then need to go to the Sonos app and add the other devices there, and the overall experience is pretty clunky.

Having pre-defined groups that are exposed to the Spotify app so that one can stream to a group directly via the Spotify app would be a real improvement.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sonos doesn’t have the ability to change features is the Spotify app. I’d recommend that you post something similar on Spotify’s boards. 

And it’s a good request to make, for sure. 

In the Spotify App on iOS (iPad in my case) I see an option to group Sonos ‘Rooms’? Access to group/ungroup the rooms is next to each of the speakers and via their ellipsis (…) menu.

Sonos doesn’t have the ability to change features is the Spotify app. I’d recommend that you post something similar on Spotify’s boards. 

And it’s a good request to make, for sure. 

I don’t think this is a Spotify feature. I think Sonos exposes the rooms to the Spotify app, which then provides the user with an option to select a room.

Sonos could expose a “room” that is internally really a group of rooms on the Sonos side, and then when a user chooses this room on the Spotify app, Sonos will play it in the entire group.

In the Spotify App on iOS (iPad in my case) I see an option to group Sonos ‘Rooms’? Access to group/ungroup the rooms is next to each of the speakers and via their ellipsis (…) menu.

At least on Android, clicking this button takes me to the Sonos app where I can indeed select which rooms to play in (but I’d like the ability to not use the Sonos app for that).

I just use SVC to group sonos rooms - ‘Hey Sonos, group Kitchen with Hallway and Patio’ (just as an example) no need to use any App. See this link for the various grouping options available:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control