Answered

Playing music from local library controlled using Sonos app on Android

• 21 April 2023
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I’ve managed to get my music library (USB stick plugged into router) imported into and playable in Sonos (Beam Gen 2), and when using a laptop this is just about OK -- though there doesn’t seem to be any way to do a shuffle play of the entire library or subdirectories within it, unlike every other player I’ve used at home and in the car -- is there a way to do this or am I missing something?

However there’s no way to do this using the Android app which would be my normal method of controlling the system, it seems it can only use playlists. I suppose I could generate a playlist of the entire library (or parts of it) on the laptop, but I suspect the Sonos might choke on a playlist with >10000 tracks in -- and also I can only see how to add tracks to a playlist one at a time, is there a way to add multiple tracks or entire albums in one go?

It seems that Sonos is completely focused on streaming and mostly ignoring customers who want to play their own music -- in my case built up over many years, much of it not on streaming services... :-(

Is there any alternative app which can do this? I use Plex at home (library stored on PC) but this won’t work here (on boat, library stored on USB stick plugged into router), something which did a similar job to Plex would be great. Does such a thing exist?

icon

Best answer by IJD 22 April 2023, 17:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

OK, found out how to do it -- got to the music library from Browse==>Music Library==>folders, then can do play/shuffle as you want. Exactly what I was looking for :-)