Skip to main content

The old app had the ability to “play in another room” by clicking the three dots to the right of a song or such.  Is this hurried in the new app, or coming, or what?

Sorry, but I do not recall that option available from the 3 little dots.  The way you played in another room on the old app was to tap on the Grouping icon, then select what rooms you wish to play, then tap Done.

On the new app, it’s basically the same thing:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms

I do not think I am making this up.  I used it all the time to play musing for my daughter in another room while I was playing something else somewhere else.

On the Now Playing Screen, tap the room name at the bottom next to the icon of two speakers. This brings up the grouping screen where you can tick or untick the rooms you want the music to play that music in. 

(You can also just tap the same two speaker icon at the bottom of the Home Screen.)

Edit: To just select one room to play music in, tap the name of your system (top left on the Home Screen) and choose the room/speaker. Then whatever music you select will play in that room.

I do not think I am making this up.  I used it all the time to play musing for my daughter in another room while I was playing something else somewhere else.

Is the source of the music coming from a aux input, a turntable perhaps?  I could be way off, as I don’t use aux input, but you can play the audio from an aux input in a different room that where the turntable is connected.  This sounds like what you’re referring to.

No, off a service (Apple Music).  This was a thing!  See: 

I know what you mean Dehbach. I’m also experiencing the same issue. The 3 dots used to give you options to view the album info of a song, play that song in another room, save to a playlist, etc etc. 

You’re not making it up. This was my most common way to play music. With this, you could search first, then decide where to play.

With the new app, you need to choose the speaker(s) first (tap your system name at the top left) and THEN choose what you want to play.

Moderator edit: You can also swipe the Now Playing screen up to get the same list of speakers.

Not making it up. You used to be able to search for a song, and when selecting it, you had many options, and one was play in another room. I used this a lot.

would be great to have this added to the new app. When I say added, I mean kept, as this was one of many things that was far superior in the old app.

Has anyone done a video on this? Its driving me crazy. I’ve tried all morning to figure this out. I can’t see how to select a different source for another room! 

If you mean within the Sonos app, I think you are remembering incorrectly. The “three dots” would let you, for example, remove a radio station from My Sonos, or bring up Album information, add music to My Sonos, etc depending upon what’s playing. 

To access play to another room you either select the required room from the Home Screen, or use the triangle-in-a-square icon @jgatie refers to above if you want to group and share audio. 

Can you attach a screen shot? This does not work for me. There’s no way it’s this complicated. 

Can you attach a screen shot? This does not work for me. There’s no way it’s this complicated. 

Have you looked at the link in @jgatie’s post above?

Edited to add: disregard that - it’s about grouping. 

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

Well, it seems it’s context-based. Scroll down in the user guide and there’s a screenshot and description of the “three dots”. 

You’re not crazy. This is one of the main things that’s been bugging me about the new app since May. 

Tapping play on a selection in search no matter how long it’s been since the previous playback finished starts off playing where it left off, often contextually in the “wrong” room.

The three dots in the search menu give you queuing options instead of playback choices… nothing that would intuitively lead you to starting playback where you actually want. What should take two taps instead becomes tedious as you must first tap the speaker icon at the bottom, selectively toggle on/off multiple places, and then go back to hit the play button again.

The folks who made the new app seriously must not ever use it in their day to day life. It’s just so obviously lacking compared to what it once was 😞

Hi @Dehbach 

There has never been an option to specifically play to a speaker other than the one currently selected in the old Sonos app from the 3-dot menu, but if you had not chosen something to play recently, then the app would have asked you where you wanted what you had just selected to play, regardless of how you asked something to play.

Now, with the new app, you can select the room you want at any point by swiping (not tapping) the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen to see the speaker selection screen. So, if you find yourself about to select something to play, but realise the wrong room is selected in the app, swipe Now Playing up, select the correct room, then swipe Now Playing down again and select the music you want playing.

It will take some time to get used to this, but it will be habit for you soon.

So, to clarify, tapping Now Playing expands the Now Playing screen as it used to, whereas swiping Now Playing brings up the room selection screen.

I hope this helps.

Corey— I am 100% confident that there was such an option, but thanks. 

Hi @Dehbach 

There was definitely a Play Now option, as was said, but as I understand it, it was not that option specifically that prompted a query as to where music should be played - that just happened automatically after you hadn’t used the app in a little while. I may be wrong, but that is how I understood it to work.

For reasons that are about children’s music, I used this all the time.  In any event, this is a feature that should exist.

The option “Play in Another Room…” is in the old 16.1 app _when you do a search_ and in the results (e.g. album or song) tap the … next to the song or upper right for an album. 

Here is an example of YouTube Music result when I have tapped … next to the song. The second screenshot is of the UI when I have tapped “Play in Another Room…”. 

This functionality is missing in the new app. As is the Add to Sonos Playlist. The old Add Song to My Sonos is likely Save to Sonos Favorites in the new app. 

Maybe add this to the feature request list if the developer team isn’t aware and has not yet plans to bring these features back(?)

Hi @kpr 

I have tagged this thread as a feature request.

However, considering you can select a speaker at any time by swiping up the Now Playing bar, I don’t see this old method being re-implemented (in addition, there are no more tabs to switch between, so it’s already easier than before). It’s just my opinion and not for me to decide, however - which is why I have tagged the thread.

Hi @kpr 

I have tagged this thread as a feature request.

However, considering you can select a speaker at any time by swiping up the Now Playing bar, I don’t see this old method being re-implemented (in addition, there are no more tabs to switch between, so it’s already easier than before). It’s just my opinion and not for me to decide, however - which is why I have tagged the thread.

Hi Corry, fair points. I’ve seen in forums that some users used that feature. I never really did even with the old app because for me it’s always been logical to first select where I want to play and then what I want to play.

And as you say even while looking at the search result, swipe up > tap room you want to play in > tap play/shuffle in the results, takes less tapping than the old method of tap … > Play in Another Room > select the room > tap Play.*

So yes, I prefer the team to implement the queue management features first :)

* edit: the old app’s method allowed to group speakers at the same time in that view so that would be a difference, I.e. in the new app you’d need to group them first. That scenario would take more tapping. 

The option “Play in Another Room…” is in the old 16.1 app _when you do a search_ and in the results (e.g. album or song) tap the … next to the song or upper right for an album. 

Here is an example of YouTube Music result when I have tapped … next to the song. The second screenshot is of the UI when I have tapped “Play in Another Room…”. 

This functionality is missing in the new app. As is the Add to Sonos Playlist. The old Add Song to My Sonos is likely Save to Sonos Favorites in the new app. 

Maybe add this to the feature request list if the developer team isn’t aware and has not yet plans to bring these features back(?)

Thank you!!!!!