Skip to main content
Question

Play 1(4) and play 5 not cannot connect or allow new sonos app to update wifi...

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

We have 4 play 1s and 1 play 5, gen 2. 

2 of the play 1 are connected via ethernet cable while the rest are wifi connected.

When I remove one of the ethernet connected play 1 all of the wifi connected speakers disconnect.

Current version of the Sonos app will not allow for network wifi to be reset or updated for wifi connected speakers, even after ethernet connected play 1 is reconnected.

So far the only option seem to be a factory reset and re-install a “new” system? Is this true?

Please advise.

Thank you!

2 replies

No, this isn’t expected behavior. However, based on what you suggest, when you remove the one internet cable, that suggests that device was being used to create the SonosNet network. 

Have you ensured that you’re running the latest version of the controller and firmware? I seem to recall along the way there were some issues with accessing the network data, but thought that had been fixed in a more recent update. In your case, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of seeing this issue, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Hi Bruce,

I will follow your advise and run through the process again to be sure the problem is still repeatable.

Thank you for the links as I was looking for a phone number to call on this issue.