Answered

Online streams not working with VPN

• 14 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I am struggling with configuring my VPN (Norton 360) to work with online streams. I have set a split tunnel for the Sonos.exe desktop app in the VPN and that enables my NAS content without problem. However all online services seem to be inaccessible, Pandora, Amazon music, TuneIn Radio, Sonos Radio etc are not accessible with the VPN. I can toggle the services off and on with the VPN (some latency with VPN off as the Sonos desktop app seems to keep some memory on last accessed content)

Note also that the streams are accessible with active VPN through a web browser without problem

Thanks for any advice on how to configure Sonos desktop or VPN

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 December 2022, 12:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @olive 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos does not support the use of VPNs - that’s not to say a Sonos system will not work with them, just that we can’t assist as we are aware there may be issues that are unresolvable.

Many services maintain separate servers for providing streams to Sonos systems - they may not be accepting a connection via a VPN, even if accessing from a browser (via a different server) works. This is usually a result of music copyright protection restrictions, many of which are location-based, and VPNs change your apparent location.

This may not be the specific problem you are experiencing, however - hopefully, the community at large will be able to assist you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Note that the PC Sonos app does NOT stream any music, its just a remote control. Running a VPN on there will make no difference to playback, though it will let you add and configure services that are otherwise geo-blocked.

If you want to use a VPN to play music you’ll need to get a router-level VPN that the speakers can use.

Understood, and thanks for the reply. It’s just annoying that I can have a mini controller on the screen while working where I can skip and thumb up/down songs while on the VPN, but I can’t change a stream. 

I am just a spoiled old fart with a first world problem

Oliver