Question

No longer able to play any music from My Library on my PC

• 10 October 2020
  • 6 replies

I know get  the “song is no longer encoded correctly” error message on every album / song in my library.  I most typically use a streaming service, so not sure how long this has been an issue.  However, 2-3 months ago for sure I could play all the songs I cannot play now. I have done the usual -  restarted router, restarted Sonos devices, reindexed my library, updated all Sonos apps.  All to no avail.  Checked the community questions and nothing is popping as as the answer.

I can still play music from the streaming service.

Sonos and Pc are not in the same room, but they are close.  My wireless signal is strong.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonblauch, thank you for reaching us and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Any changes in the network like a new router?
2. Do you have any Sonos device wired to your router?
3. Is the Music Library Permissions checked?
Go to Manage > Music Library Settings > Advanced tab > Tick the "Music Library Permissions" box
4. Have you tried updating your music library? This happens If songs are not showing up or unable to play it.
5. Have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?

We would appreciate it if you can submit a diagnostic report to further check on this. Let us know the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes. We'll wait for your reply.

Diagnostic report # 1123728961.  

1. Any changes in the network like a new router?  No
2. Do you have any Sonos device wired to your router?  No
3. Is the Music Library Permissions checked?  Yes, confirmed
Go to Manage > Music Library Settings > Advanced tab > Tick the "Music Library Permissions" box
4. Have you tried updating your music library? This happens If songs are not showing up or unable to play it.  I have reindexed  The app is able to to see the library, just the encoding error
5. Have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?  NOt yet.  

Curious what you see in the diagnotics.  THanks

I Removed the folder and added it again, and same error.  Submitted a new diagnostic report

# 81400763

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonblauch,  thank you for answering my questions and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it fo you.

That error usually occurs when the stream for a song is interrupted, usually due to wireless interference or network congestion. 

Upon checking on the diagnostic, there's another wireless network in close range that is running on the same channel as your home network. This is causing your Sonos system to lose connection to your network and also causes the error you've described.

To address this issue, you need to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

• A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  • If you have access to your router, you can change your wireless channel for your 2.4GHz band in your router (depending on your router model).
  • You can also wire one of your speakers to the router and then change the SonosNet Channel to 6.
    • On the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 6

If after performing the steps above and you're still facing the same issue, please submit another diagnostic report and provide us the confirmation number. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I have fixed the core problem, but now, after reindexing, My Library is missing numerous tracks. Many of the tracks missing our .flac files.  I used to be able to play these. Any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonblauch, thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear that you’re missing your music tracks.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

You may reach our Sonos Customer Care support by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.