Skip to main content

New Sonos App (version 80) - sonos confirms Boost is busted

• 21 May 2024
  • 1 reply

I hadn’t been able to connect to my system with the iOS app except randomly (Mac controller was working) since the new app came out. After several failed “help” calls, the rep today confirmed that:

1. they broke the boost with new app
  2. their engineers are working on it
  3. the solution will come out…in the future

The temporary workaround:

1. Disconnect the boost from the router
  2. Unplug it from the power supply (yes, even though it’s not connected)
  3. Make a direct Ethernet connection to one of your speakers from the router (this might be painful depending on your setup)…I used my sound bar
  4. Power off all your speakers aside from the one in (3) for ten seconds
  5. Then power them back on
  6.  Hopefully your system is available in the app controller after they boot

A little disappointed I didn’t try removing the boost on my own, but in my defense, my system had never worked without it. Anyway, I hope this saves at least one person the hour and a half call wait.

Godspeed,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1

I suppose it’s redundant to point out my system was functioning perfectly before the new app was installed.

Anyway,This fix did work for me in terms of getting the various speakers to be stable. Sadly, the Onkyo “Works with SONOS” input no longer turn on the amp and select the input for the SONOS.

Thanks Guys, now I have a bricked Boost and a non functional amp that was purchased just to play SONOS.

Perhaps comprehensive testing would have caught this but I guest once you discontinue a product, it’s screw the user, we had a new, bright idea (that we didn’t test, really, but hey...).

Additionally, if I may tirade somewhat, the new app is affecting thousands of owners. But, not a single word from SONOS upper management who are apparently hiding under their desks. No press releases; no emails; no apologies, no responsibility.

Very disappointing.