Skip to main content
Question

New Sonos App Speed issues Android

• 19 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi Folks,

Long time Sonos advocate here and, have to say, generally over the years I have found performance of the old S2 App to be flawless.  However, I installed the recent App update on Android about 3 weeks ago and since then, the performance has dipped.  

Adding songs to playlists or, even making volume changes appear to take about 15-20 seconds to be actioned by the speakers.  I’ve uninstalled the App, reset my router and made changes to the 2.4 Ghz networks that Sonos recommend - all to no avail.  
I am running 3 separate Room setups (but have done so for years) and in each case, performance is the same.  Last evening (as an example) I was adding music via the Sonos app from Spotify to my 2 x Play 3 Stereo pair and had to wait at least 20 seconds for the tracks to start playing.  In the end, I resorted to using the Spotify app directly and pushing the music to my Sonos speakers which seemed to be much better (but not perfect).

I have a TP-LINK AX6000 router with Truespeed Internet (900GB down and 900 GB up) and have a good technical experience of network setups but, I am at a loss to shine any light on this problem.  Have other people experienced the same thing please? 

Appreciate any steer / help / assistance you can give me.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1

I would actually go as far as stating that the new app is almost non functional. Basic functionality such as play/pause, switch track and change volume takes anything from 15 seconds to infinity. Thankfully, the pc app still seems to work. How can a production software release be so flawed that it almost killed what has been an awesome product. Imagine if a car manufacturer did the same (car not working after SW update)? Did Sonos forget testing or did they fire their software engineers in favour of managers?