Skip to main content
Question

new sonos app released 7th May 2024 issues

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Poor testing by Sonos, i expected better from a brand like this.

Radley: “As for complaining, I’ve sent my email to CEO Patrick Spencer - polite but firm. More should do the same.”

Been there done that. What you will likely get is an offer of 30% off to replace any old SONOS 1 speakers and free shipping. Like, having problems? Then buy more…...

I live in Australia.

My Sonos alarms think I’m in some West African time zone as they are off by 10 hours exactly.

Where have the time zone settings gone?  How do you change this?

Nothing else in my network thinks it’s in the wrong time zone.  Seriously how can you screw up NTP requests in an app update??!

What are ridiculous state of affairs, had trouble connecting my PLAY fives, spent a total of two hours five minutes waiting and talking to Support in the end I had to connect via my play bar which meant I had no individual control over my play fives ,how the hell can I accompany this size launch a half arsed  app that doesn’t work? 

As I think might have been mentioned already, the web version of the SONOS app that I use with my Apple iMac seems to be working fairly well. Although I haven’t spent a lot of time using it -  I primarily use my Apple iPad to control my SONOS system - I have not found any bugs in it...yet. My App based SONOS controller remains a hot mess. I did give SONOS kudos for maintaining this community board, many companies would just shut it down. 

Apart from the listed problems with music libraries, sleep,alarm, wifi channel options missing and Rova issues, I’ve noticed another, forgetting Sonos systems.

This is when i leave my home system and go to work which we have Sonos, when i opened my app with the old app, this would seamlessly connect to the work system, then when i get home seamlessly connect to my home system and so on. 

Now the new app requires me to ‘join new system’ every time i go to work and come home. It doesn’t remember or seamlessly change between the 2 systems. I also tried this when going to my parents home and brothers who have Sonos. I am on their local networks and the same issue. I have to join their system, then i get home and have to join my system.

Too many bugs on the new app, and Sonos should allow us to download the old app until they sort out all the problems. Im sure once the bugs are ironed out, this new app will be a better experience. I have noticed when it is working, it is quicker on connection when opening the app.

Enjoy the new app while you can…as I am sure with this brain trust the next update will remove the ability to actually play music. At least I have a few Bluetooth speakers stored away. 😀

Enjoy the new app while you can…as I am sure with this brain trust the next update will remove the ability to actually play music. At least I have a few Bluetooth speakers stored away. 😀

Oh how funny! Should we cry or rejoice?

Just chiming in that I too am SO disappointed with the Sonos deployment of the new app. 

After waiting 75 minutes to talk to support we made no progress ( after resetting my entire WiFi and iPhone connection history ) then never got a call back from the support agent as promised to continue (useless) troubleshooting. 

I hope it’s all hands on deck and you work this out YESTERDAY. Thank god my spouse didn’t upgrade her app yet. Otherwise, we literally couldn’t use Sonos at all. Pathetic mistake for a company that considers themselves the future of audio. 

One final piece of unsolicited advice from a software entrepreneur: let people revert to the old version next time!!  It’s a simple, easy way to buy yourselves more time when the software team inevitably botches the app upgrade again in the future. 

From you super disgruntled customer,

I have 2 play 5’s and a sound bar sitting on my floor doing nothing since this new app has arrived.  I only ever used the 3.5mm jack audio input.  Just get rid of all that peripheral app stuff and just give me the speaker and the amp I will do the rest….Why do sonos keep messing about.  I had a great set up but now dead.  Think I might go back to getting a good HiFi again! 

How can this new Sonos app be so bad, why would they release it knowing it has so many issues? It says a lot about their view of their customers. No respect. I’ve had Sonos since they arrived on the market, but think it’s time to move to another manufacturer. (And i was just about to buy a new soundbar, oh well.)

The new update is horrible. Had somos since it first came out. Seriously considering another sound system for our home. Bummer

Radley: “As for complaining, I’ve sent my email to CEO Patrick Spencer - polite but firm. More should do the same.”

Been there done that. What you will likely get is an offer of 30% off to replace any old SONOS 1 speakers and free shipping. Like, having problems? Then buy more…...

What is his email????

Agree with everyone. If Sonos is desperately clinging to the new app despite all the problems they are having, the only explanation I can think of is that something bad happened to the old one... Did someone hack their system or something?

The new app just doesn't work, so I removed it from my phone and I am using my 4 speakers with Spotify. I hope this option will continue working.

omg I cannot believe they have done this. Mercifully I still have access via my PC app which fortunately sonos havent tampered with. Will have to use that until they sort out the iphone app

I too Echo all gripes and issues with new Sonos App.  It has effectively rendered my 8 speaker system useless.  Ive been with Sonos since the beginning and have old and new speakers. Occasionally has to fix small issues, but this time the problems are overwhelming!  Being on ISO I’m stuck on this version now!  Highly recommend sonos must revert back to previous Sonos App version and fix issues.   Please fix soonest or im out of here and will not recommend to anyone else!! Hope sonos is reading all this feedback!! Thanks

The solution that I have found to work is. 

Android.

Uninstall the latest app version  install the old  version  (others have already mentioned how to do this using the APK I think its version 16)

Ensure that the auto update in the sonos app is not on and do the same with Google Play on the sonos app, otherwise it will just keep updating to the version that clearly doesn't work.

This will take you back to the previous version which works until Sonos can sort their issues out. Not great but a workaround.

Hope this helps.

SonoPhone from the App Store for iOS to control Sonos works as a workaround as someone mentioned. Its not perfect but lets me control my Sonos 8 MOVE speakers.

I am so frustrated….and furious. with Sonos over this “upgrade”….NOT!  Even after I decided not to update the Sonos app on my Mac after my MacBook experience in losing music library access, I found that my Mac’s Sonos App had “automatically” eliminated the source.  I tried reconnecting but always get a “you cannot get there from here” error message with a (913) error code.  I had to arrange permissions several years ago to allow Sonos to access the hard drive upon which my music library is stored, after which I had no issues until this 7 May 2024 fiasco of an upgrade.  I wrote an email to the CEO, and received a response from an “L2”, Daniela, who told me how to do what I know well how to do, and she said “the team is looking at adding back some features but that it will take time”.  Unreal!  My speaker system and amps are now rendered useless.  Sonos will lose support if a solution to this is not found immediately, certainly, my 8 Sonos devices are destined for the recycler, and I would never recommend this company’s products to anyone.

What's going on with this new app , I have no control to my sub (ITS A REL SUB ON A REL ARROW WIRELESS ) the system is on and it's all working but the app is not picking it up. I have no controls to it at all I can't even play my music and turn the sub of without unplugging it 

Why change the app when it's fine how it is?

Shocking. Won't be buying sonos again. 

I only used my Sonos Move for streaming Amazon Music and as an Alexa device. Two days ago it stopped working and I have spent hours today trying to get it to reconnect.  Just going round in circles and getting nowhere with their appalling software.  Uninstalling/reinstalling the app (ios), going through all the stages to connect only to be told it won’t appear in the system settings and I have to reboot and start again.  I have the “log in as system owner” thing too.  I was tempted to upgrade by their trade-in offer but not now.  I had a survey arrive this morning by email asking my opinion on disposing of the battery of all things.  I was delighted when a customer survey popped up and I could let them have both barrels!  The sound quality was divine, but the software has always let them down and this is the last straw.  It’s a bluetooth speaker from now on.

Very disappointed with Sonos not testing the app before releasing it. We use 2 play ones and a play 5 for our daily listening and also use them as our home theater sound.
The problems with the app that’s the biggest upset is I can’t get the line in function to work so we no longer can use our system for our movies 

I am not going to list all of the other mistakes 

Should have kept prior App available while issues are being addressed. 

i know this is just venting now since nobody seems to care at Sonos what the customer experience is like.

My system is now totally bricked!

Earlier in this thread i mentioned some issues which were annoying me. One of which was my TV playbar not showing in the mobile app but was in the Windows 11 app.

Today I decided to factory reset the playbar - big mistake!

Firstly, it would not connect itself to my wi-fi which has the simplest of passwords so there was no issue with ‘wrong password’.

I decided to run a Ethernet cable which seemed to pass that connecting stage but then fails (loads of times) to register with my account. Thus leaving it unable to play audio.

Side note: Why do we have to register products just so they can play audio - That is not right in my opinion. What next subscription monthly payment otherwise audio is turned off?

Anyway, why is my system bricked?

So I then thought, I know, I’ll jump on my laptop and see if i can register it there. Not only could I not register the playbar, I could not see ANY of my speakers! It keeps asking to update, then says system up-to-date. Then it says products not registered, click register and it flicks into ‘system up-to-date’!

What the hell, I cannot even use my laptop to play music on the half dozen products I have paid for.

What I have tried:

I have a Deco Mesh system at home. It broadcasts by default on to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I turned off 5GHz and tried again. Failed. I turned off 2.4GHz and just had the 5GHz. Failed again.

I updated my Deco Mesh devices. I rebooted the whole network. Everything FAILS.

I am effectively without a speaker system that I’ve paid probably £2000 for over the last 5-6 years.

My Sonos has become an extreme waste of time, and money.  I’ve had connectivity issues in the past.  Speakers cutting in and out, as if it’s struggling to transmit data across my many speakers.  I’ve tried multiple connection setup options to fix the issue with no luck.  This issue was noticed once my system grew to more than 3 listening areas.  I’m up to 6 areas now, with more than 15 Sonos devices and I’m unable to group more than 3 zones without having sound cutting in and out issues.  So I've never been able to enjoy music while walking around my home.  I have to carry my iPhone and wear earbuds if I want to do that.  Lo and behold, I find out yesterday that I have an updated Sonos app on my iPhone.  Now my entire system is useless, unless I carry around my laptop and use what may still be the older interface.  On my phone, when I select a zone, and back out to select music, the selected zone reverts back to the zone it was previously on.  So I can’t change zones.  And regardless of what music I try to play, it freezes my system for about a minute, while it starts playing the first song on one of my playlists.  And in the past, music would just start playing randomly at various zones while I wasn’t even using the system.  I’ve gone ahead and unplugged a couple of my zones about an hour into using the new app.  From what I’m reading, I suspect I’ll be unplugging more.  I guess I can use my Move in bluetooth mode and carry that around like an old boom box for a while.  If there is anyone at Sonos paying attention to these posts, please send me an email when I can replug in my speakers and give the new app a try, so I don’t have to waste anymore of my time.  Thanks