Skip to main content

New Sonos app disconnects from existing system

• 15 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I've had a customer's system up and running for over 2 years. We've had problems all along, but nothing like now. The new app will not recognize the existing devices in the app for device selection, however, it sees them in the About System/Sonos System Info section. Even after a complete system reset and new setup, it showed the system for about 5 seconds, then dropped it again. 

I have spent no less that 15 hours troubleshooting Sonos issues that are due to this new app without compensation, since this is neither my fault or my customer's fault. I've been a Sonos System provider for over 15 years and this is by far the most unreliable and frustrating experience I've ever encountered. With products from Denon/Marantz and others making their way into this realm, and the crazy price increases over the past two years, I would expect more from Sonos. 

Shame on you for causing these issues, not supporting your custom AV dealers (financially), and not owning up to it when called out for said issues. 

My next step is to find a replacement for all of my existing jobs with issues and all future projects. This used to be a good solution below Control4 or Crestron, not anymore.

3 replies

Same problem here. Quite difficult to get a hold of someone in the Cie. I am thinking of selling all of my speakers

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've had a customer's system up and running for over 2 years. We've had problems all along, but nothing like now. The new app will not recognize the existing devices in the app for device selection, however, it sees them in the About System/Sonos System Info section. Even after a complete system reset and new setup, it showed the system for about 5 seconds, then dropped it again.

Hi @Malchus6, I appreciate the dismal situation you have on your hands. Here’s a whacky get-out-of-jail idea to consider: get one or more Kindle Fire HD tablets and sideload the v16.1 Android app. That’s the “April 2024” app which is stable and full-featured. Perhaps pair with the Windows or Mac desktop app.

Not an ideal solution, to be sure, tho’ it is something to do entirely under your control.

If you go the 16.1 route be sure to disable automatic updates in the controller device and the players.