Skip to main content

New SONOS app bugs - are these going to get fixed?

• 22 May 2024
  • 7 replies

1. Grouping rooms just doesn’t work. It adds rooms you’ve not selected (not great when that speaker is in the bedroom and the wife is trying to sleep). Removing speakers from a group just causes the app to hang and takes several attempts.
  2. Frequently skips songs or returns to beginning of playlist (especially when adding or removing speakers).
  3. Seems to have removed the existence of my Sonos Boost and I have no idea how to get this back, this is causing additional connectivity issues that the Boost had previously solved.
  4. Constantly seems to default to playlists being on a loop, I don’t want this to be the default

I am sure there are many many others bugs I have not yet unearthed, but this is a very bad update, please provide the opportunity to roll-back until you have fixed these errors. Sonos is not cheap and the ability to group/ ungroup sets of speakers with ease should be the bare minimum for the user experience.

Such a shame, the reputational damage caused by rushing this through can’t be good for the company and won’t be encouraging sales of the headphones (which I certainly won’t be purchasing after this farrago).

Thanks,

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I don’t think that it is a question of IF these bugs will be fixed its all about the WHEN.

There is a schedule for the missing features but I have not seen a tracker for the bugs. I’m sure that Sonos have one but I don’t think they will share it.

Assuming that you want to continue using Sonos then the only option available is to be patient and live with this sub optimal app until they fix it.

I would love to report to Sonos a similar bug with the new app - Sonos - If you are reading, please take note or tell me where to raise this:-

If you start music in room a, then room b adds to the group. When room a leaves the group, room b should be unaffected but instead it gets stopped. This is an unwanted change in behavior from the previous app and I assume a bug as it makes no sense.

It makes English Post office look good 🥲

I spent over 10 hours one day dealing with the cluster of the new app.  My Play 5 speakers would no longer connect wirelessly, but if one connected to the router by Ethernet they both worked. A tech person told me that I could do a factory reset on the speakers and I would no longer need to connect one by Ethernet. I did this and it didn’t work wasting more of my time. I now have a speaker connected by Ethernet which meant I’d needed  to move the location of the speaker which is not what I signed up for.  To add to this I now have a surround system that isn’t working and my music library will no longer add.

I am incredibly frustrated that Sonos would roll out a new app without throughly vetting every feature.  Their lack of communication on their screw up is deafening.  How about sending communications out acknowledging the issues and providing their customer base updates on what they are working on.  It’s called taking accountability.  Instead they are sending emails on products to buy. I don’t know about the rest of their customers but until they get their act together I wouldn’t buy new products.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I spent 8 hours when my sub disconnected last week trying to reconnect it. Realized it was the piece of garbage app that they then updated 3 days later with bug fixes that still is a complete disaster.  Ever since the new app came out my system has had nothing but connection issues. 

I am now looking  at alternatives to Sonos as this new app just doesn’t work. Any word on this being corrected any time soon?

3 days on the new app and so many bugs already. 

1. Frequently can't find my system or one or more speakers

2. Volume drops to 0 on beam (once so far) 

3. Beam drops HDMI input whilst watching TV (once so far)

4. Queue gets cleared every day 

5. When repopulating the queue from Spotify integration (due to bug 4) I press the shuffle button. It doesn't shuffle and I have to go into the queue and press that shuffle button. 

I am not even sure how this awful update got on to my system as I had blocked the apps from updating due to reading about the numerous issues then suddenly this week I was unable to update until I had updated. 

To say I am livid doesn't even begin to cover my feelings towards sonos right now