Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App broke my entire system. It is unstable

Dear Sonos,

The new app uploaded itself on apple devices and now my system is completely bricked/useless. I have ZERO components in my system. I have tried to factory reset it, doesn’t work. Tried resetting the app, doesn’t work. Tried to get hold of support to no surprise ZERO chat reps available at 10:30 eastern time, and 50 minute wait for support.

Do you people sit in a room and make up ways to piss your consumers off, because you are AMAZING at it? This entire system is about 24 hours outside of going in the garbage can since i can’t use them anymore.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

….really reassuring it’s not just me. App won’t find my Sonos system (3play 1’s and a Play 3) so now don’t have a music system in my home until they sort the App out! Anyone know how to revert to the old App - I’m guessing this isn’t possible? Feel like throwing my Sonos system in the bin! 

I managed to connect a few speakers to my system using app 80.03.03.... then I deleted the app.

Next I installed app 16.1.  I downloaded apk from apkpure.  It connected to my system.

So far I can select speakers and play music with volume control but other functionality like adding speakers blocked unless I update app.

But 12 hours later music still playing.  I hope tomorrow too.

Hey @GuardDog32 , thanks for pointing me to the version...mine is actually newer?

80.03.06-release+20240613.b0fbafe42

One other gripe i just noticed - all but 4 of My Sonos saved playlists have disappeared! I had at least 15 saved there over the years and now they’re all gone.

So this is another reason I have now begun to almost exclusively use the Spotify app with my Sonos systems.

2x One (Gen 1) and 1x Play:5 (Gen 1), not working and cannot seem to do anything with either. App on Android/Windows in constant update loop for the One.

Both products seemingly bricked.

My Play:5 Gen 1 connects with the S1 app.

I had to delete/factory reset the One (Gen 1) and use the Sonos app (NOT the S1 app) to connect/use it.

So can’t group or use them together. And have to use different apps to use them.

Not ideal.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey @GuardDog32 , thanks for pointing me to the version...mine is actually newer?

80.03.06-release+20240613.b0fbafe42

One other gripe i just noticed - all but 4 of My Sonos saved playlists have disappeared! I had at least 15 saved there over the years and now they’re all gone.

So this is another reason I have now begun to almost exclusively use the Spotify app with my Sonos systems.

I’m now on the same update as you. I saw an update last night, tested on my daughter’s phone first, then updated mine. Helped a little, BUT still a LONG ways to go.  All my Amazon playlists pulled over, but still limited to the first 100 songs on any playlist on mine. Also, when I add songs, it takes a while before they will show up and / or play.  I usually have a lot of patience, but it’s running extremely thing with Sonos.  Very very sad 

Userlevel 1

Why can’t they role back to something that worked? And the. Do their beta testing with volunteers or, maybe in the lab first… 

When is this going to be fixed. 

Badge +1

I would agree. I’ve had nothing but problems since this new “update.”  Music drops in and out. Also don’t like the change to speaker volume controls. 

Same here. ios and app are up to date, so thats not the problem. The problem!  is the new app!

App shows devices aren't connected, when they are as the music is playing from them. I can’t rearrange my Home Screen via the app.  App constantly says content is missing then reloads the content, when I close the app and reopen it. Volume buttons on the app and device are slow to response when increasing or decreasing volume.  All very infuriating and needs sorting. To go from a flawless system to one that is challenging most of the time is madness.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

seiously why has sonos not fixed the issues! sINCE the app my playbar, sub, sonos 1s are useless. These are all in my living room so can’t use them at all. Have restrated them reset them and can’t even get them back on the app. When I connected the playbar to the ethernet it worked and as soon as I took the cable out it stops working and appearing on the app. So useless!!

Sonos worked for years. Alexa enabled home base speaker in the kitchen paired with 3 other speakers, so good. App update cratered everything and only partial recovery 2 months later. Planning to move on from Sonos, who has a recommendation for a solid replacement if all I want is a return to Sonos functionality prior to their update? Clearly Sonos is not capable of fixing all their glitches or reverting to the old app. Have told everyone I know to bail. 

I no longer recommend Sonos to friends and family.  What’s a better home wifi speaker solution?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I warn every person that I talk to not to buy SONOS. Complete waste of time and money. Support people are nice enough but you are on hold forever and when you finally speak with someone they are just as confused as you are. Every answer eventually leads back to reset everything. App is absolute disaster and as someone said they beta test on their customers … profit hungry pricks that just want to make money regardless if their products work or not. Honestly save time and frustration and sell the speakers and stop buying their products. Join me to keep posting everywhere and warn everyone you know and maybe together we can finally get SONOS attention to do something about this. 

This is effed up.  Bad enough when they took away access to iTune songs on your phone.  Now, even worse!  Can’t even navigate to search for music from the internet (e.g. Youtube aka SonosTube).  Cripes!...

Userlevel 1

I am reading all of the things I am thinking since this latest update which has been the worse app update in the history of updates. Please roll us back Sonos. Too many issues to mention including I can’t even remove a track from the queue! Navigation is ridiculous but more important Search just fails and when it does work it’s really slow! So sad, I have been a Sonos user for over 15 years and now, every day, it pisses me off!

Userlevel 1

I am reading all of the things I am thinking since this latest update which has been the worse app update in the history of updates. Please roll us back Sonos. Too many issues to mention including I can’t even remove a track from the queue! Navigation is ridiculous but more important Search just fails and when it does work it’s really slow! So sad, I have been a Sonos user for over 15 years and now, every day, it pisses me off!

GREAT idea!

This app update truly has made the system unusable. Does Sonos think that sunken cost will keep users on a system whose app makes it worthless? It won’t. I’m already a staunch advocate that people NOT buy Sonos, entirely because your UI and customer service has only gotten suckier and suckier with each update. Great job killing the love of your customer base. 

Either give us back the old app or let some larger, smarter tech company acquire you. Sonos has gone from being a miraculous product in our home to something we all despise. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos why have you not fixed your garbage app yet? You continue to exploit the goodwill of customers and the sort of people who hang about giving anecdata-based tech advice for free, safely off your books. You are an utter disgrace of a company. Are you listed? Do your lawyers and accountants know how badly you are failing???

I had to delete/factory reset the One (Gen 1) and use the Sonos app (NOT the S1 app) to connect/use it.

So can’t group or use them together. And have to use different apps to use them.

Not ideal.

My two Play:1 and my playbar can't connect anymore to the app, it says I have to update the system but it doesn't update and gives me no clear error. I have made many Factory reset on the play 1 and tried to use the old app (gold icon) version 15.4 but it tells me the play:1 is not compatible with this app, even though it is able to connect to it.

What's going on? Can anyone help me solving Sonos pathetic engineering? Thank you

Romain

Userlevel 1
Badge

The worst app update I’ve seen in a long time, whoever was in charge of testing and UX needs firing.

Sonos why did you release this with so many clear bugs and faults, so many things broken or missing completely 

I super agreed with you… until the new update tanked everyone’s system worldwide. This is even worse than the last update, which I didn’t think was possible.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not ideal.

My two Play:1 and my playbar can't connect anymore to the app, it says I have to update the system but it doesn't update and gives me no clear error. I have made many Factory reset on the play 1 and tried to use the old app (gold icon) version 15.4 but it tells me the play:1 is not compatible with this app, even though it is able to connect to it.

What's going on? Can anyone help me solving Sonos pathetic engineering? Thank you

Romain

Unfortunately, it seems that we will have to wait for another “fix” to fix that problem and break something else.

Oh dear… I was happily oblivious to all the issues until I changed my router today. My Beam 2 seems to have joined the app but the two One SL’s have now acquired a mind of their own. Add them, they remove themselves, re-appear, disappear, one stays, one goes, join them as surrounds, both disappear… what a mess. Having now read a few posts I see this has been going on since May! Sorry for everyone that bought into this premium priced brand. Reading the variation of issues it’s clear they’ve lost all control of their development lifecycle. It’s almost like they didn’t test it at all, which just seems bizarre. The CEO is finished and needs to pass this onto someone that knows what they are doing before the company goes under. An apology 2 and half months after the issues started isn’t good enough.