Skip to main content

New SONOS App - Adding to queue

I’m unable to add an album to existing queue. Is this feature gone or am I missing it?

323 replies

This has been terrible. Sleep timer and alarm are gone and I’ve already done my complaining about that, but this morning I realized that “Play Next” is gone too! I’m having other glitchy issues too, like the speaker that I was just playing is no longer listed in my system, but it is still playing. 

Back to “Play Next” and why I need it back… when I’m listening to a play list, I will frequently say something like “That reminds me of this song! Let’s hear that next.” The last version allowed you to insert that song next. You would hear the song you just added to the queue and then the system would go back to playing the playlist. Not anymore! 

This sucks!

Userlevel 2

I can’t understand how anyone at Sonos thought this app was acceptable to release in this form.

Userlevel 2

So much for the best update ever. This update is lame. Like most apps/software these days, developers seem bent on trying to cram in a bunch if new features at the expense of stability and/or performance improvements. The new app is not faster in any regard, as advertised, and it’s crazy they missed the feature to add to the end of the queue. I keep searching for a good Sonos alternative. I’ve spent enough on their speakers that i find myself trying work with the system, but it’s no longer a system I enjoy like I once did … years ago!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I play my music library of 28 thousand sings on my sonos system in almost every room in my house. THIS IS MOSTLY WHAT I USE MY SONOS FOR! When I am playing a playlist, the next songs do not show up on the queue. What the heck?? This app is horrible!! It also does not show you recently played, which you might want to go back to if you haven’t finished listening to a playlist or just want to go back to it. Can we get the old solos 2 app back while you all get this ridiculous new update fixed?? I have never seen such an awful update, and I have been a sonos customer since 2012. 

I can’t even begin to describe to you how angry, irritated and frustrated this updated app has made me. 

The new sonos 2 app should not be black, as sonos 1 is black, and I have them both. What was wrong with the yellow Sonos 2 color?? The colors of both apps should not both be black. Bring back the yellow sonos 2 app, or change the color, so it does not look like the sonos 1 app.

Honestly, some of this is so obvious. It’s ridiculous, you all did not think of this before. The worst rollout of any new app I can ever remember. Bing back the old sonos 2 app until you all get your act together. This app should NEVER have been rolled out when it wasn’t ready!!

Sonos as a billion dollar company you have committed commercial suicide with this defective app

the old S2 should immediately be added back into the App store immediately

i suspect 100% of your customers will reinstall the old app - a shambolic disaster for your company 

Userlevel 2

But, but, but … it’s only the best update to the app that they have ever done, remember? It is crazy just how poor the app development has been. I personally prefer stability over new features, myself. It seems like with every update, I hold my breath that my system is not going to work after the update, or there will be issues, and while it does still work, there definitely are issues, obviously. I seem to be finding myself thinking how I once enjoyed having the Sonos system. Now, it’s really not enjoyable at all. These days, there are so many issues that lead to not listening to music, but troubleshooting Sonos instead. Not cool! I have a very fast fiber network and a good mesh wifi system. Part of me wonders if Sonos just doesn’t like that I have five Play 1 speakers (I also have a Beam and Roam). Well, that’s a decent amount of money to spend and I am not here to buy new speakers regularly just so I can listen to music. I am at the point of riding it out and continue to search for an alternative.

On top of the issues in this thread alone, I can no longer access one of my libraries via the new app (just doesn’t show), that I can thankfully still access via the computer application. LAME!!!! I’m doing all I can not to be completely enraged.

hi,

when will be the “add to end of queue” be added to the new ios app?

this is a key funtionality!

thanks,

vincent.

Just going to echo the comments so Sonos knows how many people are disappointed and hopefully prioritizes the fixes. Coming out with a new app that has less queue management and can’t even add to queue is hard to fathom. This version of the controller is much worse than the last. 

I will say - and it sounds like I’m in the minority - I actually like the interface better. But that is not nearly worth the loss of queue functionality. 

We’ve lost an essential feature. May be an homage to analogue though - having to wait for the needle to lift off and the arm return before you could put the next album on. Surely not too hard to fix. Hope Sonos are taking note - just remember the total farce of Google Play Music becoming You Tube Music and being totally ignored by by them.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

I have gathered your feedback regarding queue management and other features in the Sonos app from your individual threads and compiled it here. I understand your frustration and can assure this feature will return in a future update.

If you have any other suggestions or comments, please let us know by replying here or by posting in the Sonos app announcement thread linked below:

That thread, along with all other feedback, threads, and comments regarding the Sonos app, will be closely monitored and forwarded to the relevant teams.

I have a huge library on a NAS at home and it’s now WORTHLESS!   Even if I am streaming Spotify, I want to be able to edit the queue.  I have thousands invested in Sonos and it feels like I just had the rug pulled out from under me.  This may have been the last straw.

1. I can’t search my library like I could on the old S1 or S2 app.
  2. I can’t add an album in my library to the queue, or even select to play the entire album for that matter.
  3. I can’t add an individual song to the queue, I can only replace the entire queue with the individual song. 

“Stream all the music on earth?”   Ha - I can’t even stream the music in my home. 

Sonos 2 was flaky as it was, and there were many times that I considered switching, but at least I could use my library.  Whoever at Sonos green-lighted releasing a new app without the basic functionality that has been around from the beginning should be fired.  This is an EPIC FAIL.

If this isn’t fixed VERY soon, So nos = So Long.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

While you’re working on re-introducing the queue management could you implement a “multi-select-and-delete-at-once” feature on the mobile app? 

Deleting songs from the queue on S2 16.1 app version is tedious with iPhone/iPad. Even a similar way Apple implemented multi-selection on their iPhone’s Photos app would be a big improvement. Now you need to swipe or tap and tap on individual rows. It would great to select items and then just have one delete operation. 

I have easily gone back to version 16.1 on my iPhone and much prefer to have queue management and working search back. (There are threads on this, or search google with: GitHub iTunes charles.)

I did find the 80.00.04 app’s new Sonos Voice Location for weather feature useful so I enabled that before downgrading. It continues to work. 

I’m unable to add an album to existing queue. Is this feature gone or am I missing 

This update truly sucks. Clearly done without any use of focus groups etc. is there anyway of reverting to the previous version?

This is freaking beyond neurotic. This is not hyperbole. Whatever moron at Sonos That green lit this change should be fired. 

it’s bad enough I can’t even skip a freaking song on a Lock Screen and now I can’t edit the upcoming songs?

what freaking idiots run this crap? This is inexcusable. Do you ever beta test anything? Bring this back NOW.

i can do this on a CD for freak sake. What a joke. I am so fed up with your high price crap that has poop for an app. 

Use to love sonos….10 years ego.  Now I am haiting sonos.  To much bugs, thé New version did not solve much.  I was selling sonos to Every ones, now I tell people to sell their speakers before it worth nothing.  Bad, this succes company will close shortly.

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I have gathered your feedback regarding queue management and other features in the Sonos app from your individual threads and compiled it here. I understand your frustration and can assure this feature will return in a future update.

If you have any other suggestions or comments, please let us know by replying here or by posting in the Sonos app announcement thread linked below:

That thread, along with all other feedback, threads, and comments regarding the Sonos app, will be closely monitored and forwarded to the relevant teams.

Hi Jamie,

Thanks very much for this. In the meantime, would it be possible to make the previous version available separately in the app stores (the way that S1 is still available)? I (and many others) would go back to it in a heartbeat. 

Thanks! :) 

Userlevel 2

I’m not a misery loves company kinda  person, but there is a ‘rounding off of the edges’ to know that I am not alone in my frustrations, which have been growing over recent years. Mind you, I did have a number of years when I did enjoy my Sonos system, and also sold people (and small offices) on Sonos. I sorta feel bad now that I have because I could/would not recommend them to anyone at this point and would actually talk someone out of going with Sonos if they asked. I think I would need to see a major turn-around in a relatively short period of time (they’ve been doing this for a while now, so they can fix most of these issues).

Oh, and for the Sonos folks that are monitoring this thread, I think one of the easiest things you can do is make the old version available again. It sounds like many people would go back to it without thinking twice.

At this point, I am just riding it out as long as I can, but I’m curious about Sonos alternatives and think we should try to help each other out to find the best alternatives. I have only casually looked into alternatives because, like most of you, I have a lot invested in Sonos, and changing systems would be a huge time suck to say the least. But at this point, like so many others, I feel like I’m really reaching the end of my patience with this stuff and/or this company. I hate the idea that I feel like I’m being pressed to move on and the expense of doing so is hard to swallow. Right now, Audio Pro is one I am looking into (Swedish Company). Also Looking into Bluesound Generation. I know there are some Apple alternatives for those use Apple (I am mainly Windows on the computer side, but have iOS devices). I’d be interested in hearing if anyone has others they are looking into. Not a conversation I really wanted to start and/or have, but it’s time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We nee to be able to revert back to the old Sonos 2 app. This is just horrendous. Where is the search feature in my library?  I have to scroll all the way down to find what I want. a long way to Yazz or Zappa. This app once fixed has to have all the functionality for home music libraries as the previous app. What a travesty that this has been unleashed on us. It feels like some cruel joke. 

I’m very disapointed in the new Sonos app, and infact get angry using this device.

thinking in transfer to Bluesound 

Wait till July!?!

This is a mess. Just idiotic

I am feeling sorry I bought into Sonos - absolutely no respect for their customers but everything for their corporate streaming masters

Userlevel 1

New app is absolutely too busy (previous version was already a lag fest of hurry up and wait) and arrived here specifically from searching Lord Google about "adding albums to the queue, new Sonos app update"…

Why has this been removed?!

Please at minimum revive the adding items to the queue feature -- it'll make the additional minutes of waiting for everything to load more bearable. 

This app is an unmitigated disaster. I had to use Amazon Alexa to stop the music. The Sonos app would not stop playing music.

Userlevel 2

I'm very disappointed in the new Sonos app. I've had to sign in several times which I've never had to do before. I have one system at my house and another system at a place I rent and it won't automatically find the system without me choosing to join whereas previously it would just join the system because it recognized it. Now there are apply buttons to initiate an action like volume change. In some instances it seems you can do it without hitting the apply button, but in others you can't. I don't recall there ever being an apply button before. Managing the different room setups I have has become more cumbersome as well. Previously it was easy to select. Now it is not. I'm amazed at all the things that are not good in the new app. Very disappointed. Would love it if I could get a hold of the old app.

Why can't I edit the queue any more? When I try to add one podcast, it adds all un-listened to episodes instead of just the one episode I want. Then if I pick another podcast, it replace the whole queue instead of allowing me to add one episode to my queue.

Userlevel 1

Admittedly I’m a sonos fanboy, but like many on the post why in the world would you nix functionality like “add next in queue” or “add end of queue”. This is a great example of how sonos doesn’t understand “how” its users are using the app. Additionally, why would you completely change the interface! For years sonos has programmed “us” on how to use the app, then some nitwit says let’s change the entire way people use the app. A better approach is to build on known functionality not completely redesign. It’s like someone really wanted to show what “they” “could” do vs what the “should” do. Epic fail for the dev team.

Userlevel 1

Just wanting to add to the thread - another user not happy with this update. Best solution would be to offer the old add again until this is fixed. Not being able to edit the queue is really a shocking omission. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not being able to edit the queue is really a shocking omission. 

It’s worse than that.  It completely ruins the use of the hardware for many of their core users.  That there hasn’t been a response from on high that acknowledges this is the real kicker.  A timeline that *might* be able to restore some function in a few months basically means being unable to control your hardware, particularly for those who invested thousands to play their own libraries of music.  Sonos is clearly reminding us all that although we spent a ton on hardware, they are the ones who will decide how we can use it and that they don’t care about their user experience.  It’s the last time I make the mistake of buying from their closed architecture. I love the hardware but if they are going to repeatedly undermine how I’m allowed to use it by poor software, I’m out.