Skip to main content

New Sonos app - a downgrade rather than upgrade

From 4 to 2 stars. The new version is just not complete. A lot of functions is no longer available, 50% of the times it won't turn up or down for a group volume, but just one room. Very slow to connect other rooms, and extremely slow to change songs. 

Slow to connect to other rooms, and I could go on with mistakes. 

All in all it is a downgrade rather than a update. Why would sonos be this clumsy and release this app? 

14 replies

Userlevel 1

I am extremely frustrated with the new app. If I had read all of this before the UGH automatic update I would’ve not done the update. I have a very substantial Sonos system at my house And have not been able to enjoy it since the update. I get sporadic speakers cutting in and out, and the whole system seems unstable.

I am extremely frustrated with the new app. If I had read all of this before the UGH automatic update I would’ve not done the update. I have a very substantial Sonos system at my house And have not been able to enjoy it since the update. I get sporadic speakers cutting in and out, and the whole system seems unstable.

Speakers cutting in and out should not have anything to do with the app update.  The app is just a controller and not involved in the audios playing on the speakers. I would recommend rebooting your router and the speakers, as that will often resolve issues.

Userlevel 1

That may be part of the issue, but I have experienced significantly more issues with the new app. And with the old app, I was able to change the internal network settings and it would give me better conductivity throughout my home. These issues got worse with the new app, which I understand is just a controller, but I’m guessing that there is something else different because we don’t have the multiple internal Sonos networks to pick from if that makes sense 

That may be part of the issue, but I have experienced significantly more issues with the new app. And with the old app, I was able to change the internal network settings and it would give me better conductivity throughout my home. These issues got worse with the new app, which I understand is just a controller, but I’m guessing that there is something else different because we don’t have the multiple internal Sonos networks to pick from if that makes sense 

Yes, you used to be able to change the network channel used for sonosnet within the old version of the app, and I have no idea if that is currently available or where it is.   I’m offering advice on what generally helps with these issues.

Userlevel 1

For example, in the new app, when I go to change the volume of the whole system, it doesn’t adjust so I’ve got speakers cutting in and out, and the controller doesn’t actually work…

Again, different issues. Danny (@melvimbe) was responding to the cutting in and out, and the unstable issue, and not the issues with the app itself. 

Badge

Apparently Sonos took the approach of a quick release that would be followed up with more regular enhancements that re-introduce functionality.  That said the core app release introduced so many  stability, performance, and bug issues that the lack of features became icing on the cake in terms terms of aggravating users.

8+ years ago the premium experience at the time justified investing on a home full of Sonos products.   In that time I’ve been through several rounds issues, but quick fixes kept the premium expereince intact.  The impact and disruption that this app update has introduced are far more frustrating.  The lack of a clear time to resolve is worse.  This has turned into a premium investment with a sub par experience.

Trying to be patient and gracious.

Badge

I’ve had my Sonos and wifi infrasrtucture in place since Dec 2020.  It has operated flawlessly with the sonos app and a single hardware wired Sonos sound bar since install.  Only after the app update I too witnessed speaker drops, while I appreciate that the apps predominate role is a controller, this is far too ironic to believe the app wasnt part of the issues.

To make matters worse the sonos net channels are far more difficult to change at the moment.

Speakers cutting in and out should not have anything to do with the app update.  The app is just a controller and not involved in the audios playing on the speakers. I would recommend rebooting your router and the speakers, as that will often resolve issues.

Having to reboot speakers (4 in my case) and a modem every few days, very quickly becomes a frustrating, pain in the a...!

Userlevel 1

I still struggle to have an enjoyable system:

1. upgraded the router system to Google mesh network, it is fast and stable. 

1. updated software Sonos system (18 speakers  in this house)
  2. reconnected system

same issue: when I launch the new app, some speakers will load …eventually all of them will catch up and play music for a while, but then some cut out and I’ll lose some speakers additionally, the app is not very simple,  when I want to change the entire group volume some of the speakers will change ..some will not. Something is going on and this is new with the new app. My 2nd home uses the S1 app with 8 first generation speakers and never a problem.  I have tried everything that folks have suggested….it really is frustrating. 

Badge

It’s AWFUL… worked good over the weekend, tonight it’s slow to respond, volume adjusts don’t stick.  Plays three songs fine and then dropped one speaker out of the mix.  The display is bugg6 too…. What volume is the kitchen? …

Userlevel 1

Exactly!!

Worst software upgrade ever!  Almost unusable.  They have had intuitive interfaces before and have at times made a little kludgey but this is beyond the beyond in how bad it is.  I have had tons and tons of Sonos over time and been loyal fan.  This needs to fixed asap.  

Userlevel 1

I’m now sitting at my second (summer) home which has the S1 app and all my older G1 speakers and I can actually listen to music!!  😳😳😳