Skip to main content
Question

New Sonos App

• 20 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Is there anyone out there with any legal knowledge?

The new app has taken away my ability to play my music from my music library (error 913). I am also unable to add music to a playlist or edit the queue. so I am left with a glorified radio!

As this makes my Sonos speakers no longer fit for purpose, can I claim compensation or a refund?

Mal

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The new app is terrible.   I was finally able get Spotify service added back after multiple attempts, but at this point, only able to get my Arc to show up on my system.

I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    

I decided to ring my retailer in Australia to alert them to the problem. They were really glad to hear from me and were bothered that customers, especially new customers, were not going to be happy. But the guy I spoke to knew nothing about the problems at first until I told him to go online. That was an eye-opener for him. Clearly Sonos doesn’t give a shit about its customers but if retailers get heavy with them about the app, we might see some change???? The real problem too is that MSM (as usual) is way behind the ball apart from some isolated papers like The Washington Post. I alerted the Financial Review here in Australia but their tech expert is in love with Sonos so - you know - who cares about the customer??? This company needs to be embarrassed mightily for its arrogance and stupidity. At least the share price is going down. I’m really pleased some customers have decided to go via legal complaints.

Userlevel 1

This new app is a disgrace. Customers should never have to spend hours trying to get it to work or to find ways to work around it. Sonos speakers are not cheap and while the hardware is good the software is terrible.

If you buy Sonos speakers so that you can listen to tracks of your choice, in any order, and they take this ability away, surely you can claim a refund.

Perhaps people in this community could make some sort of group claim against Sonos?

It’s starting to feel that way, isn’t it. What surprises me is the total lack of interest in their customers. I worry that could be a harbinger of things to come in our increasingly all-digital world. Maybe a highly publicised law suit would stop any other company going down the same track. Probably best done in the US but there must surely be a way for buyers outside the US to come in on the same suit. Does anyone else have any ideas about what might be needed to start this off? I did see somewhere-else - either here or on another thread - that a user intended going to the attorney-general.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

PLEASE GIVE 1 STAR RATING.

LET THEM SUFFER

Userlevel 2
Badge

I decided to ring my retailer in Australia to alert them to the problem. They were really glad to hear from me and were bothered that customers, especially new customers, were not going to be happy. But the guy I spoke to knew nothing about the problems at first until I told him to go online. That was an eye-opener for him. Clearly Sonos doesn’t give a shit about its customers but if retailers get heavy with them about the app, we might see some change???? The real problem too is that MSM (as usual) is way behind the ball apart from some isolated papers like The Washington Post. I alerted the Financial Review here in Australia but their tech expert is in love with Sonos so - you know - who cares about the customer??? This company needs to be embarrassed mightily for its arrogance and stupidity. At least the share price is going down. I’m really pleased some customers have decided to go via legal complaints.

Review in the AFR is critical of the new app in the review of the headphones…

https://www.afr.com/technology/nice-headphones-sonos-shame-about-the-app-20240602-p5jimr