New iPad App Experience (plus some iOS feedback too)

• 9 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I upgraded two of my iPads to the new Sonos app release, and while I am not facing the challenges that many are facing, I do find the UI “looks” good but doesn’t “feel” good. iOS/iPadOS apps are supposed to feel native to the platform - that's why Apple provides robust APIs for UI design. The old app, while not perfect at least adhered to some design principals of iOS apps like the navigation bar at the bottom with the 5 buttons. That is now gone in the iPadOS and iPhone app. It makes no sense! This app does not feel at home on iOS/iPadOS anymore. I don’t want the app to be the same across all OSes - I want the app to feel at home on the devices I use it on. It should have a different design for Android and feel like an android app. It should feel like a Windows app on Windows, and macOS app on macOS. I get companies one this “write once run everywhere” cheap way of development but it sucks for users. 

One other thing on iPadOS - why is the “Your System” stuff a super-wide bar at the bottom on this huge screen? I run 12.9” iPads wall-mounted to control my system and home automation in every room. I would expect that on a screen of that size it should be laid out like it on on the web app where the list of all devices in my system is along the right side, and my music libraries are on the left. Also clicking “Your System” at the top left to bring up the full list from the bottom is not intuitive. I should just click the bottom bar and it should bring the full list up. 

Please optimize the iOS/iPadOS app for the bigger screen of the iPad - don’t just scale up the iPhone version and not take advantage of the larger iPad screen. Right now all I get is a bunch of white space. 

Also I am missing the alarms feature. While I don’t use everyday, I do use probably once per week and that's a huge regression (considering I have 9 Sonos Amps and 2 Ports - I have spend a lot of money to lose features). Also the lack of queue management is frankly unforgivable for a music app. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Have you tried SonoPad instead?