Skip to main content
Question

New app update

Since the update Sonos has lost connection to my music library and will not reconnect. All I get is an error message saying “Sonos was unable to add the shared folder”

26 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

For all iOS/Apple/iPhone users who are dead in the water, I contacted Samsung today since that’s the brand of SSD USB drive my Sonos music library is stored on. I asked the Tech Support rep what version of SMB that their drive uses. He said, like the Apple Community Forum Level 10 poster did, the drive doesn’t contain the code to determine that, the computer does. In a previous reply from the same Level 10 Apple guru, he wrote this: “Since MacOS 10.10 it supports SMB v1 to v3.”  So, the SMBv1 issue that Sonos is telling us “may” be prohibiting “some” users from fully utilizing their new app seems to be largely a red herring - whether they mean it to be or not.

It was also advised that I checked Connected Servers in Finder/Preferences/General & Sidebar. I did and nothing came up meaning… I don’t have a server that may or may not fall under the dreaded SMBv1 plague.

Another Sonos Forum poster added this in regards to “Moving from SMB1 to SMB2/3:

“macOS

In my macOS experience, I’ve never had to change the SMB of a share. If you’re sharing something already, I expect macOS to do either 2 or 3. I also did NOT have to do any of this for my NAS, but I have had to do it for other environments”

My iMacs run 10.14.6 and, the latest version of OS Ventura which is 14.xx (I don’t know the exact version). Regardless, I shouldn’t have any SMBv1 lurking in my system and, my Permissions are set to WIDE OPEN for any and all to access, plunder and/or utilize.  Still no iOS/iPhone functionality.

That’s all I got.
Brad