Question

New app update

Since the update Sonos has lost connection to my music library and will not reconnect. All I get is an error message saying “Sonos was unable to add the shared folder”

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Feature not available till June. 

Userlevel 1

Same issue.  The Chat Bot told me no one was available to discuss it and ended the chat - super unhelpful.  I cannot connect through NAS on my laptop or my modem and the file on my laptop that worked perfectly until the update is no longer accessible either.  Apparently, either the Sonos app developers think we don’t want to play our own music or Sonos was paid off by the streaming services to cut access off.  I can’t think of another reason this is so broken.  So, now I have to pay to stream and/or repurchase my already purchased music to use my speakers????  It’s such a let down.  I was super happy with the system before this.

Since the update Sonos has lost connection to my music library and will not reconnect. All I get is an error message saying “Sonos was unable to add the shared folder”

Same here.  Customer “Service” says to upload all my audio (over 64GB) to the web and use a Music Service to stream it, taking up bandwidth and accruing storage charges.

This seems like a big F U to their customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Same issue.  The Chat Bot told me no one was available to discuss it and ended the chat - super unhelpful.  I cannot connect through NAS on my laptop or my modem and the file on my laptop that worked perfectly until the update is no longer accessible either.  Apparently, either the Sonos app developers think we don’t want to play our own music or Sonos was paid off by the streaming services to cut access off.  I can’t think of another reason this is so broken.  So, now I have to pay to stream and/or repurchase my already purchased music to use my speakers????  It’s such a let down.  I was super happy with the system before this.

Or you wait till June, and use a free streaming service until then. 

It's not just the new app either.

These clowns turned it off in the previous app within the last 48 hours too.

I rolled the app back on Android and had full functionality for a few days and now I have lost access to my NAS both on the previous version of the mobile app and the current version of the desktop app (which also had been working 100% despite the update).

It is infuriating.

Userlevel 1

Or you wait till June, and use a free streaming service until then. 

1. No guarantees this will be fixed in June.  
  2. Why?  I like my music - it’s why I purchased it.  Why should I not be able to play my music on speakers?  This is a speaker/hardware product.  It’s sole purpose is to provide sound - from whatever source.  It is the core mission of the product.

After 2 hours on the phone, it’s been determined that the reason I lost access to my NAS is that it’s old and running something (connection security? software? something...) which is no longer supported by Sonos (unclear why? too slow? not secure?)

Anyhow, now I’m reaching out to the NAS manufacturer to see if I can change the setting on the NAS so that it’ll work again on the old Sonos app (v16) (because as of right now, even if they brought back all features and options into the new app it would not help me).

Otherwise… I guess I’ll have to buy a new NAS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

After 2 hours on the phone, it’s been determined that the reason I lost access to my NAS is that it’s old and running something (connection security? software? something...) which is no longer supported by Sonos (unclear why? too slow? not secure?)

Anyhow, now I’m reaching out to the NAS manufacturer to see if I can change the setting on the NAS so that it’ll work again on the old Sonos app (v16) (because as of right now, even if they brought back all features and options into the new app it would not help me).

Otherwise… I guess I’ll have to buy a new NAS.

SMB v1 has security issues; this is (probably) what’s dropped from support. This has been the subject of older threads, if you want to know more. 

My music library is on a hard disk internal; to my PC not on NAS. I had to switch it to this disk years ago when SONOS stopped allowing NAS connections. Now they have completely ruined everything as the new app won’t even allow connection to a fixed disk - goodbye and good riddance SONOS!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My music library is on a hard disk internal; to my PC not on NAS. I had to switch it to this disk years ago when SONOS stopped allowing NAS connections. Now they have completely ruined everything as the new app won’t even allow connection to a fixed disk - goodbye and good riddance SONOS!!

Sonos still support NAS devices, AIUI.  

If you read my original answer to your op: just wait, till the feature returns in June. Frustrating: yes. Worth a temper tantrum and chucking out your speakers: not in my opinion, though you seem to be of a different opinion.