Need to find a compatible NAS with Sonos

• 9 March 2024
  • 5 replies

After having my WD My Cloud Home no longer work with Sonos, I need to add a new NAS to my setup, specifically for Sonos.  Is there a list of compatible NAS options out there? Or is there something I should be looking for?  I don’t have a lot of music, and could get by with 2TB to have plenty of room to spare, I just don’t know where to begin this search.

5 replies

After having my WD My Cloud Home no longer work with Sonos

Why is this so?

I have the same issue.  But with a Synology NAS, which after the recent update can no longer connect to Sonos S1.  

Have you specifically enabled SMB v1?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you look at the OpenMediaVault suggestion at the link I posted above?

Doesn’t get much simpler than that and both the Pi and the Vault folks have active user support communities.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have the same issue.  But with a Synology NAS, which after the recent update can no longer connect to Sonos S1.  While I can still use a streaming service, I have a lot on the NAS that isn’t available online.  While I am reasonably tech competent with Windows PCs (can build/update my own) I know nothing at all about Raspberry Pi construction or programming in Linux. I would need a full set of Instructions assuming no initial knowledge.  Does that exist anywhere? All advice gratefully accepted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I looked at a lot of NAS devices and passed on the lot of them for my Sonos use. I have used either the SMB server or SMB gateway to provide local music files to my Sonos. The big advantage for me is that I have full control of the operation and updates, things that kept breaking on my WD setup.

My solutions plus one suggested to me by another Sonos user:

Live Journal: Stan  https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

The Gateway option is really slick as it uses your existing NAS and any protocol you prefer to fetch your music files, then a properly configured for Sonos requirements SMB server to pass them on. A Raspberry Pi Zero is perfect for that task.