Answered

NAS drives & Sonos

• 25 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I am trying to simplify life so that multiple PCs can update music library and update Sonos.  A networked drive connected to 2 PCs would both need to update the music library.  Does this work with Sonos V2 and are there any issues with multiple PCs adding to the playback queue in different rooms.  This is a “music is locally stored question”.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 December 2020, 00:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you share a music library on a NAS box using SMB v1, Sonos will be happy and (re)index that library at a convenient time which you can schedule in the Sonos App, it doesn’t really matter who, or what, updates that library.

I used to use secondcopy by centered systems to keep my library in sync .. but there are probably other solutions available these days.

If I understand your post, it is a single drive. The number of PC’s it is connected to is immaterial. Especially if it is an NAS, as suggested in your title. The Sonos system on the speakers would connect to the NAS via SMB v1, something that often needs to be turned on in many NAS drive’s software. 

Badge +2

Thanks very much.  I think  it sounds like it may not be worth the hassle given SMB issues.  I appreciate the answer.  Thanks much

I use an NAS without significant issue. I did have to re-enable SMBv1 when Western Digital updated the operating system, but my NAS sits behind several other layers of security that someone would need to get through before accessing my NAS, so to me, SMB v1 is not a substantial issue.