Skip to main content
Question

NAS

I’ve invested thousands of pounds in my music collection I can no longer access it from my NAS. Why is this?

So, having read all of the above after I also discovered I’d lost access to my local WD CLOUD. I checked my nas and it says it’s configured to support both smb1 and 2. I still cannot find anyway to (re) add my nas.  Any ideas?

update - well that’s weird, I went to use the desktop app on my windows machine ( the first bit above was when trying to use my iPad which I usually use) it did an update , now my nas appears on both the desktop app AND the iPad…….

So, having read all of the above after I also discovered I’d lost access to my local WD CLOUD. I checked my nas and it says it’s configured to support both smb1 and 2. I still cannot find anyway to (re) add my nas.  Any ideas?

Hi @Hhhh1999, be sure to disable SMBv1 on your NAS … many users report problems when running both SMBv1 and SMBv2. Counterintuitive, to be sure, best to play it simple.

Hi @Hhhh1999, be sure to disable SMBv1 on your NAS … many users report problems when running both SMBv1 and SMBv2. Counterintuitive, to be sure, best to play it simple.

Tks, see my update. I need smb1 for another smb1 only client

Last week I needed to backup an old SMBv1 NAS drive used exclusively in an old SONOS system. I was able to find a W10 SMBv1 driver and backup the music library. This is an old PC, I was surprised that it can run W10. It's very slow, has a relatively slow Internet connection and is rarely used. If someone wants to waste their time and hack this thing, I wish them luck.

That is good news there for people moving forward with Sonos, where NAS play is concerned.

Why are you able to get this feature where many here are shouting about not being able to, anymore?! With or without a net connection?

The sharing protocols are not supported by Windows either these days, most platforms and Apps are now using SMBv2 or higher shares.

Not exactly true, for Windows SMB1 is disabled by default, but if you need to you can enable it. It’s built into MacOS too. Why still have there, given all of the security concerns? - simple, there are so many legacy devices in use that can only talk SMB1, that it makes perfect sense to leave it as part of the OS for compatibility reasons, unlike Sonos!