Skip to main content
Answered

myTuner stations not working

Anybody else having problems with My tuner stations? I used to use the Exclusively…………..stations and now they won’t play along with various others.

Moderator edit: Title corrected

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Been offline for 10 days if trying to play non UK stations from UK.

Sonos live chat don’t really want to help 

some users have suggested could be a licensing / access issue 

To check, it would be useful to list a couple of stations. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Slam rock radio

hair metal 

berock radio 

Slam rock radio

hair metal 

berock radio 

Slam plays via myTuner

Rock Antenne Hair Metal plays via Tunein

Berock radio plays via Tunein

Tested from outside UK

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you but that’s the point - they don’t work when in UK 

cheers 

I think it's something to do then with licencing within the UK and TuneIn & myTuner.  Do they play from the TuneIn and myTuner webpages? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

No they don’t and you’re correct 

but they haven’t played on those for a while somehow Sonos allowed them To be accessed until last week

when you live chat with Sonos UK they are absolutely clueless about it 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same here button down radio station and that’s a uk bassed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same here UK resident some work not all really pissed off as Sonos doesn’t seem to be working to sort it out 

Same here UK resident some work not all really pissed off as Sonos doesn’t seem to be working to sort it out 

You need to check whether the station plays outside of Sonos.  If it does, eg. via an app or webpages, then there could be a problem with the myTuner api and Sonos.  If the station doesn't play, then it's their issue. 

Sonos just uses whatever stream url it receives (via myTuner) - if the url is wrong or faulty then Sonos can do nothing about it.  The error goes back down the line to myTuner and then the station itself.

There are/have been licencing issues affecting UK access with both myTuner & TuneIn in recent months. Again, little Sonos can do about that. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for reply it was all fine before update plus some work on it and some don’t 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is Likely a Sonos application development issue (e.g. updated API handling). Had it been a licencing issue then they would have said so and their support staff would not spend hours trying too help several customers resolving the issues.

I experienced the same problems but a few days later than UK users. The affected stations are all kinds, from national broadcasters like SLBC to commercial broadcasters like Swedish Retro. The feature of adding a station to Sonos Favorites is also buggy and affects many stations that otherwise plays ok - it's a mess but not unusual from Sonos application development.
They will remain silent and we may be lucky to get the problem fixed - keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your input cheers let’s hope they do sort  it 

Userlevel 2

I’m pretty sure this sorry state of affairs for U.K. Sonos users where international radio stations are not working is down to the court case between Tunein and the music industry. Every aggregator is now only U.K. only or gone completely. It’s a pain and anti consumer. Sonos should help and find a solution for its U.K. aider base.  This is not happening elsewhere.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have tried the online chat about 6 times and each time the agents say they haven’t heard of the issue and that nobody else has mentioned it.

im now convinced that Sonos has told them to deny all knowledge as they simply don’t know how to fix it 

I’m pretty sure this sorry state of affairs for U.K. Sonos users where international radio stations are not working is down to the court case between Tunein and the music industry. Every aggregator is now only U.K. only or gone completely. It’s a pain and anti consumer. Sonos should help and find a solution for its U.K. aider base.  This is not happening elsewhere.

Sonos can do little.  Try using a VPN such that your system appears to be outside the UK. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

What’s gets me is it’s shite plus Sonos trying to make us by there new headphones is a joke until they sort this problem out for get it plus I was hoping to get the era 300 don’t think so now as try play for also doesn’t work either time to think of new solutions 

Userlevel 2

With radio.net gone the writing was on the wall for MyTunerRadio (in the UK at least?).

I have moved all my radio streams from the aggregator services to stream URLs i added myself. This used to be really simple using the Sonos desktop app and the original “TuneIn” service. That was replaced with “TuneIn (New)” which has a whole load of hoops to jump through to add a stream URL, but it is possible, for now at least. The steps are here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/tunein-no-longer-supported-custom-urls-no-more-6878679?postid=16749008#post16749008

There are plenty of sites listing stream URLs i find these two good.

http://fmstream.org/
https://streamurl.link/

Who knows how long it is until TuneIn or Sonos quietly break the custom URL feature completely... At that point you could use an app like BubbleUPnP to stream directly to your speakers, but it is not as convenient as the Sonos app.

I’m so glad I haven’t upgraded my Sonos system which I was planning to do earlier this year. I listen to a lot of radio from around the world and did this via the radio.net app until they pulled that a few months ago. I then used the MyTuner app which wasn’t as good in my opinion and now there’s no location services within the app and I can only play uk stations. To put a tin hat on it I can’t even play RTE radio which is just 45 miles down the road from me. I can access it though via my Amazon echo which helps. Things like this really are a game changer for people who may be tempted to buy a Sonos product. Maybe OK in the rest of the world but in UK it’s a no no. First Tunein then radio.net now MyTuner, whatever happened to the concept of Nation shall speak unto Nation? Definitely in todays market it’s overpriced and lacking content, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. 

My advice to Sonos for what it’s worth: Sort out the MyTuner app immediately and then do everything in your power to get radio.net back onto the system otherwise your UK market is going to shrink to nothing. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tried online chat again just for nuisance value. Got the agent in a round about way to admit they have been told by Sonos to avoid trying to explain the issue and that they are told to say they haven’t heard anything about the issue and only ask the user to perform basic checks