Skip to main content
Answered

My list of issues with new Sonos App on IOS

​​​​​​I have updated the Sonos IOS app on just ONE of my IOS devices (thankfully).
My overall impression of the new Sonos IOS app is that it is missing quite a bit of functionality that was available in the old app. I therefore suspect there will be quite a backlash from existing users until Sonos address some of these issues.

For what it is worth, here is my initial list of issues/questions…

1 - There are issues with the Rova service on the new app. When you click on Rova via the “Your Services” rail nothing shows.
My other IOS devices that are still using the old Sonos app correctly show the list of Rova Station selections as expected.

2 - Related to the above point, when searching for a radio station. e.g. “The Sound” the Rova stations do not show in the results and the Rova service icon in the search rail shows with a “!” icon next to the service name. Doing the same search using the old app correctly returns the Rova stations in the search results.

3 - The “Sonos Favorites” rail list only shows 18 items and nothing happens when you click the “>” icon at the top right of the “Sonos Faborites” rail. This should expand the list to show all of my favorites. The old app and the new Web app BOTH allow you to see all of your favorites (I have 30 favorites in my list).

4 - The Music Library no longer allows you to position into your list of Artists or Albums by selecting a letter to position into. This is a pain if you have a large list of albums.
e.g. To play Album “Zombie” by Fela Kuti you have to scroll through your entire list of albums in alphabetical order to be able to select it.
What makes this worse is the fact you can no longer search your Music Library being that the “Classic”  search option which supported Music Libraries is no longer supported.
Again what makes this worse is that the Album list within the Music library previously displayed in grid form, now it displays in list form with 1 album per row so it takes forever to scroll through the list.

5 - When you play an album from your Music Library the tracks on the album are not added/visible in the queue. You there cannot edit the queue to reorder tracks etc. You also don’t seem to have the ability to be able to add songs to the end of the queue or select to play next etc.

6 - The “Manage” list within “System Settings” on the old app doesn’t include the ability to setup/maintain your Music Library settings. So currently the only way to maintain these settings is by using the old Desktop Controller, which I understand is soon to be retired.
So my question here is, moving forward how are we going to do tasks like adding a new Shared Music Folder?

Ross.

​​​​​​​

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

183 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I seem to recall receiving a message a couple of months ago, and before the upgrade, on my Sonos app that Sonos was no longer going to support NAS.  Did anyone receive a similar message?  Does anyone know if it is true?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I seem to recall receiving a message a couple of months ago, and before the upgrade, on my Sonos app that Sonos was no longer going to support NAS.  Did anyone receive a similar message?  Does anyone know if it is true?

I didn’t get a message like that, but all my music is stored on my WD My Cloud NAS drive and it seems to be playing well. Just don’t like the cumbersome layout of the new app with its tile design. Still can’t edit my local music library queue, but according to the Sonos projections, it will be coming any day now (“mid-June”), and today in June 14. 

No, there was no message that announced dropping of support for NAS drives (my library is on an NAS drive right now and works fine).  The announcement was for the dropping of support for the (supposedly) insecure SMB v1 share protocol in favor of the more secure v2/v3 versions. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I didn’t get a message like that, but all my music is stored on my WD My Cloud NAS drive and it seems to be playing well. Just don’t like the cumbersome layout of the new app with its tile design. Still can’t edit my local music library queue, but according to the Sonos projections, it will be coming any day now (“mid-June”), and today is June 14. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@shed53 . I have DM’ed you with the details.
Ross.

Could you share with me please?  Trying to make something usable ☹️

Same request here! Thanks in advance.

Me too--I am really struggling with keeping my system connected to my network/wifi.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Before I download the upgrade, can someone summarizes what it does?  And does it make things better?

There is a new app update 80.00.08

You also need to update the speakers from 16.1.1 to 16.2. After that, you see the alarms.

I uninstalled the app, re-installed, updated speakers - I don’t see how to get to the alarms.

Other than that feature, I’ll use SonoPhone to control things. It cost $3 that Sonos owes me for forcing me to buy it, but it works on the iPhone and iPad and is fairly full-featured other than alarms.

My mission now is to rid myself of Sonos over the next few years - to unwind my 12 component system.  After that S1/S2 debacle and now this - anyone buying into these products is a sucker.  I was a sucker.

I’d be happy if this tanks the company - they don’t deserve to be in business.

I bought SonoPhone as well but unless the Sonos app will function like it should, the SonoPhone will not see the speakers or help in connecting anything.

After I added my Music Library back in the MacOS app, the library was indexed, and I restarted my Sonos apps on iOS, I was able to access my music library from iOS devices. 

I think I’m almost done with Sonos. I’m finding it harder and harder to use and it should be the opposite. I love the hardware but this latest app has been a disaster. I’ll look for a third party controller but if I can’t find something suitable, it’s time for a household upgrade. Really sad as I’ve always been a Sonos fan but these days, it’s embarrassing.