Skip to main content

everything was working fine and then stopped

updated to Sonos S1 - when adding music lib from music folder Sonos can’t find computer

firewall off and Sonos app has access to disk

Hi @robert rhr, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your Mac not being able to detect your Music Library. About this concern, I’ll be asking some questions to further check on this issue. 

• Are there any changes made with the settings on the Mac?
  • Did it happen after doing the update to Catalina OS?
  • Have you checked this link about Computer that could not be found error when using a music library?

Keep me in the know with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Simon,

Sonos was working fine after Catalina updated and then stopped working with the music library but can stream with no problem.

Firewall and file sharing are off and the Sonos app has access to the disk.

I updated Sonos to the new controller which cannot locate the music library even though it’s there in the default music path.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi @robert rhr, thanks for the update and the information that you provided. About your concern about your music library, since it can’t be found still. on your Mac. We’ll take it further. I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps. They may request remote access or screen share on your device controller which is your Mac and check further settings or on what's causing the issue.

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

Hi, I have the same issue as robert rhr above. The only difference is that I am using a new iMac, (which obviously came with the Catalina operating system) and set it up today. On opening the Music App, all my music appeared with no problem (My iTunes library/music is residing on a NAS Drive) . Ironically, I was able to access my music on Sonos immediately, controlling it on my iPad and iPhone. However, on a restart of my iMac I could not access my music library, although streaming worked fine.

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated!

Hi @Ritchie, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your songs on your NAS drive. I want to ask when you say a restart of the iMac, is that a reset or factory reset or a total wipeout of your iMac? Because if that’s the case, You need to re-add the path for your Music library to your NAS drive, You may check this article about NAS drive on Sonos for further troubleshooting and reference. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi Simon B. Thank you for responding so quickly. I followed your advice. I firstly consolidated my Music Library (this took ages as it’s about 80 Gb) and exported it to the NAS drive (this also took ages!). However, everything now seems to work! My Music app on the iMac is pointing correctly to the NAS drive and I have checked that new music is flowing there correctly. The Music Library path in Sonos is pointing correctly to the Music Library on the NAS drive and the Music Index can be updated correctly. It all took a long time, hence my tardy reply but everything is now good to go! Many thanks for your help.

My only issue now is wireless dropout (I have very slow wireless Internet) but I will look around the forums for possible solutions to that. The Sonos Boost looks like a way forward or possibly having a permanent ethernet connection from a Sonos Play 5 to my router?

Hi @Ritchie, thanks for the update and I’m glad that it worked fine for your Music Library. About your question on dropouts, both your ideas are fine, but you can try first to have a direct hardwired ethernet connection from your Sonos speaker to the router, this normally fix dropout issues. 

If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.

The Sonos community is always here to help.