Answered

Music Library and Mycloud home

• 25 November 2022
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 28 replies

So the other day I went to play music from my sonos library  where the mudi  is stored on WD myhome NAS drive 

A I got was an error saying it can't  be found 

Then tries to update the music library and got a message like 

Mycloud/public/music is no longer available 

Then I tried removing the link to the folder 

Took a few attempts  but eventually  removed 

Now I can't add it back as a shared folder

I have never had an issue with it before 

I can still access the drive from my laptop  and still able to add music to the folder 

Any help would be appreciated  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 November 2022, 19:19

View original

34 replies

Are you using S1?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Are you using S1?

Yes still using S1 as some of my Sonos is old 

No idea why it just stopped seeing the folder on my NAS 

Western Digital has certainly updated the NAS firmware in the background for me, and in doing so, turned off SMB v1 and NTML v1, without notifying me.

I’d be looking at your NAS to see if Western Digital has done that to you.

Sonos S1 still requires those two settings, which is one reason some people have upgraded to S2, those who had the option. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks where do I find those setting 

Been looking for them but not a clue how to get to them 

Check the manual for your Western Digital. I don’t own that version, and I’m not at home to even check, due to the holiday. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you 

I looked when it happened and could not find anything about it 

Might be worth calling their CS then.

I have exactly the same problem as you, and also attempted to fix it by removing and re-adding the music folder in Sonos, to no avail.

I see that my MyCloud Home firmware is version 8.12.0-178, released on 14 Nov 2022 (which tallies with when it probably stopped working for me). The release notes talk about introducing “local network access” using the Samba (SMB) protocol, so I strongly suspect the current issue is something related to this. However, all the suggestions I have found regarding re-enabling SMBv1 don’t appear to apply the MyCloud Home since (as far as I am aware) we don’t have access to those device settings.

I’ll try and get a response from WD support as well, but please let us know if you find a solution. I can’t imagine we’re the only people using a MyCloud Home with Sonos in this way. Maybe we are!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have exactly the same problem as you, and also attempted to fix it by removing and re-adding the music folder in Sonos, to no avail.

I see that my MyCloud Home firmware is version 8.12.0-178, released on 14 Nov 2022 (which tallies with when it probably stopped working for me). The release notes talk about introducing “local network access” using the Samba (SMB) protocol, so I strongly suspect the current issue is something related to this. However, all the suggestions I have found regarding re-enabling SMBv1 don’t appear to apply the MyCloud Home since (as far as I am aware) we don’t have access to those device settings.

I’ll try and get a response from WD support as well, but please let us know if you find a solution. I can’t imagine we’re the only people using a MyCloud Home with Sonos in this way. Maybe we are!

Mines stopped working the Friday morning of that week and funnily enough the mycloud software updated on the Thursday so I am almost sure it's  to do with that 

And like you I can't  find a solution 

Please let me know if you do find one and I will too if I find one 

Thanks 

Same here. I spent about 3 hours the other day on the phone with Western Digital (after spending an hour with Sonos tech support), and we were never able to solve to problem. I run my Sonos system on a Mac, and I understand that the SMB1 protocol is not a concern for the Mac OS, but my problems started exactly when all of yours did, so WD must have changed something that we can’t access.

The workaround is to move your music files to the private aide of your drive and then add My Cloud Home as a music service in Sonos, rather than a library. This works just fine, but the trouble is that my existing Sonos playlists won’t populate from a music service -- or at least I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks

The mycloud sonos service  is terrible 

I used thst when I first got the drive until I learnt about the publicity of doing it 

Yes I'm the same a.my playlist will need redoing too

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Anyone any further forward with this ?

I have the same problem: Sonos S1 system with music stored on a WD MyHome NAS. Unable to connect to the music library from Windows 10 laptop, Windows 11 desktop or Android 13 phone.

Before trying alternative setups, I have questions.

Does the Sonos S2 hardware have the same problem?

Is there any liklihood of Sonos and/or WD working out a solution in the next few months? Do we know if Sonos is even trying?

Are there any other NAS systems that are known to work witht the S1 Sonos?

Several times, the WD update to the software running the NAS has turned off SMB v1 and NTML v1 without notifying me, the user. Sonos S1 requires these to connect. Each time they did so, it was frustrating for me to figure out they had done so, since there was no notification.

S2 allows the use of the more current versions of SMB v2 & v3, which I now use to connect to my WD myCloud NAS. 

Are you implying that you were able to turn the SMB v1 and the NTML v1 back on somehow? Perhaps undoing the WD update?

I am trying to decide on the cheapest next step. I know Sonos used to offer a bit of a deal when upgrading from S1 to S2, but it’s still an expense I could live without. On the other hand, replacing the NAS is a crap shoot without knowing in advance that it will work with the S1 Sonos system, and also not cheap.

In the WD software for my NAS, yes, I was. However, there are some WD NAS devices that appear not to give users access to that, based on some of the posts I’ve seen here. Check your manual for specifics, or contact WD’s customer support group. 

What Sonos speakers do you have? 

In the WD software for my NAS, yes, I was. However, there are some WD NAS devices that appear not to give users access to that, based on some of the posts I’ve seen here. Check your manual for specifics, or contact WD’s customer support group. 

What Sonos speakers do you have? 

I have the 3TB MyCloud Home NAS connected to my internet modem/router. The Sonos Bridge is also connected to the modem/router gateway. At the other end, I conect to my stereo tuner/amp. I just want music in the one room and I already had the tuner there, so it seemed pointless to buy the Sonos speakers.

I cannot find any option to modify the settings on the NAS, so I guess I’m out of luck on that front. WD doesn’t seem to list the 3TB model of the MyCloud Home and I was unable to find any documentation for it. The 4 and 8TB models also have just basic information.

I guess I’ll have to bite the proverbial bullet and upgrade to the S2 Sonos system. <sigh>

Before you spend that money, spend the time to call in to WD’s CS group. You might be able to get some resolution. 

For me, I’ve got the WD My Cloud Mirror, and if I could find the software (likely on a different computer somewhere), I’d tell you more, but it’s not at hand. But I remember last time they switched SMB v1 to SMB v2 without telling me, and I was pretty angry when I figured it out. Once I knew that, it was easy to switch it back on using the interface WD provides, but for them to change that without notification seems underhanded. I get that they’re trying to make me more secure, but I’d have thought some sort of warning “hey, we’re changing this on you, in case it breaks anything” would have been appropriate. 

Best of luck!

This happened to me too, two weeks ago, with MyCloudHome.  I also don’t know how to change the SMBv on it.  Does anyone know if there are other NAS drives which use SMB v1, and are easier to work with? Kindly, Chris

This happened to me too, two weeks ago, with MyCloudHome.  I also don’t know how to change the SMBv on it.  Does anyone know if there are other NAS drives which use SMB v1, and are easier to work with? Kindly, Chris

I looked at Synology, QNap and ASUSTOR and either could not find anything in the listed specs or did find references to SMBv2. I would assume, since SMBv1 was identified as allowing security holes, that most NAS devices these days would not support it.

I had no luck when speaking to WD. I have taken advantage of the Sonos upgrade program and ordered a new Port. Turned out to be cheaper than buying a new NAS.

Thank you Daryl, I have an open question with WD re any workarounds they know of, but I fear I will have to upgrade to Sonos 2 (alas, 6 components have to be replaced). So once we upgrade to Sonos 2, then for sure it will take the latest SMB version that the NAS drives are using? ;-)

Badge

Hi All,

This happened to me as well. To my knowledge, My Cloud Home does not offer the option in its software to change the SMB settings. Switching to Sonos 2 using SMB 2 *should* work. I would appreciate if someone could confirm before I upgrade. 

Thanks to all!

Steven

Hi All,

This happened to me as well. To my knowledge, My Cloud Home does not offer the option in its software to change the SMB settings. Switching to Sonos 2 using SMB 2 *should* work. I would appreciate if someone could confirm before I upgrade. 

Thanks to all!

Steven

I bought the Port and connected it to my stereo unit, using the WiFi option to connect to the music library on my WD MyCloud Home. Got a discount on the Port since I owned two SONOS 1 devices that were eligible for upgrade. Works perfectly. Have no fears that the SONOS 2 devices will work with the WD storage.

Badge

Thanks!

I struggled through this for an associate’s system. This was a combination S1/S2 system and neither system could access the library. I struggled with this for hours. It seems that there is no local admin access to configure the drive and on the day that I was struggling. I was able to change a cloud password, but a few minutes later it was invalid and I had to struggle again. Eventually, I was able to instal local password that the local S2 PC controller could use to setup the S2 library. Be sure to set the PC’s network security to “Local”. I never was able to get S1 using the library, or to setup the library using the iPad controller. Also, use the “Public” folder on the MyCloud for the SONOS library.

In this case there was only one old S1 unit and since the cost to upgrade was so close to the cost of a real NAS, made it attractive to upgrade the SONOS.

I don’t appreciate that a forced drive update closed me out of local access. At some point I suspect that I’ll be forced into 100% cloud and monthly fees. By then, it will likely be time to replace the drive.