Skip to main content
Answered

Music Indexing doesn't update my library

• 27 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a music library stored on my NAS with approximately 1500 albums (so it's not huge by most standards).

Only a portion of it has been indexed correctly by the initial execution of the indexing via Sonos app. No matter how many times I re-run the process via the Apps on Windows PC, android phone & iphone, nothing changes once the fresh indexing process has finished.

An example of how this is behaving is:

• I have a folder named A Perfect Circle in my shared Music folder.
  • It has 4 sub-folders (1 for each album by that artist)
  • 2 of the 4 albums have been indexed
  • 1 of the 2 indexed albums only lists from track 3 onward and doesn't recognize or list tracks 1 or 2 in the sonos app on any platform.
  • By comparison, I can browse to each of the folders and list all tracks and play them using other apps such as Roon, windows media player etc. without issue.

Re-scanning my music library yields no changes to available albums / songs, though shows via the apps it is apparently working.

What is going on?

After doing some random checks, it appears I have access to less than half of my library and then not even all songs on each of the albums (sub-folders) that have been indexed by Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @chip.man 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can think of three possibilities - either the indexing is not actually happening, the missing tracks are old iTunes downloads and have Digital Rights Management (DRM), or the missing tracks have no metadata (Artist, Track Name, Album etc); if there is no metadata, Sonos will not show the tracks.

If the tracks have DRM, you’ll need to delete them and download them again from iTunes/Apple Music. As you’ve already paid, you won’t need to again. The new copies will not have DRM.

Or, please check the files for missing metadata (Windows: right-click file and choose Properties, Details | macOS: right-click file and choose Info) and if metadata is missing you’ll need to get an application that will replace it all (or download the tracks from another source, or re-rip them).

If all looks well with the files themselves, please reindex on Sonos and afterwards submit a diagnostic, replying here with the number given. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Of the possibilities set out in @Corry P ‘s excellent reply, my money would be on absent metadata.  It would probably be instructive to look at the Folders view in the Sonos Music Library (as opposed to looking at the Albums, Artists, Genres etc views).  Do all the tracks crop up there?