Multiple Computer Music Libraries with Sonos App

• 2 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I’ve been using Sonos speakers and enjoy them.  I had to accept that they took away “On My Phone” option, but how can one access Sonos on another computer in the hosuehold and use one’s music library as well? When I access the Sonos app on my mac, it reads the one I’m using at the time.  My spouse can’t just open the app on her computer and simply add her library as well.  Nobody wants to remove the current music library in settings and then update the new computer’s different library each time it’s used in the house? This makes NO sense.  Any help is appreciated.  If this isn’t fixed or planned in the near future, it’s time to sell the system.   Thanking you in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think Sonos expects you to have all your music (only 65k songs after all) on one computer. A work around would be using Plex on one of the PC’s.

Badge +20

You can add multiple network shares.

When you define your music library, there can be up to 16 segments. each segment can be on a separate computer. Note, however, all 16 segments should always be online. The best setup would be a central, always ON, NAS or a USB drive attached to a router that supports this. You could still have 16 segments, each copied from a user’s computer and updated form time to time. On day one of this scheme it may seem onerous, but it quickly becomes routine.

Personally, I don’t want my phones, pads, or computers fussing with music. For me this has always been the joy of SONOS. My phones/pads/computers can crash or leave the building while the music continues to play. And, there is no scrapping about which App should have permission to play music from it’s device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I learned something…..;-)

And, not to put too fine a point on it, all 16 segments should be on the same subnet, and not distributed randomly.