Skip to main content
Question

Multi speaker compatibility with new app

• 18 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I updated my primary speaker in my Living Room (main level) to the Five from the former Play 5. But still have two older Play 1 components on my second level. I also have 2 Roams in the grouping for music everywhere in my home and the mobile option. Major issues with the new app. I am considering replacing the older Play 1 speakers as this seems to be the incompatibility with the new app with my speaker groupings. Will the Era 100s work as the solution to get back to proper functionality for multilevel pairing with the new app? 

1 reply

You talk about speaker types, but it is unclear as to if you’re using a single Sonos app or two separate Sonos apps (S1 and S2). As you can see from the FAQ, your PLAY:1s can be run under either app, just not both simultaneously. The PLAY;5 gen 1 is S1 only, the PLAY:5 gen 2, of which I have a pair, runs under either S1 or S2. 

What are these ‘major issues’ you’re having? If they are network issues, getting new speakers are unlikely to assist, but if some of your speaker’s electronics are failing in some fashion, you might benefit from the trade-in discount Sonos offers for some devices (like your PLAY:1s).