Skip to main content
Answered

Missing Music, Artists, Songs

• 11 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Greetings,

I have read the various submissions until I’m too tired to read anymore.  I can’t find anything that matches my situation, close but not quite.  

Windows 10, latest version of Sonos, firewall checked, etc.

All my music is on my PC which is where Sonos is pointed to.  Previously the music was on my NAS. I decided not to deal with any NAS issues and point Sonos locally to my PC instead as the NAS is just a backup of my PC.  While creating a new playlist I noticed that there was music missing from the Artist, Albums, and Songs.  I have run scans many times, but Sonos fails to see the music is there.  Recently while playing an old Playlist, I noticed some songs didn’t play as the Sonos log thought they were on the NAS and couldn’t access them.  No problem, remove the songs and add them back from the PC.  

1st question: Where is this information stored and how can I correct it regarding where the location of the music is?

2nd question: Why can’t I get Sonos to see the missing artists and their music?  Hopefully I haven’t missed anything too simple.  What other information can I provide?

Keith

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Answer 1: Sonos’ data is stored on the speakers, each and all of them. 

Answer 2 is not clear. Were they all able to be seen while on the NAS? Instinct suggests that they don’t match the necessary formats, but if they were seen while on the NAS, then I’m wrong on that guess. 

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They might be interested in some particulars, too. 

Thanks for your response.  All of the songs are WMA format.  However, you brought up something I was not aware of and that is very interesting.  I checked the bitrate of the songs that came off one of the albums I am having a problem with and the bitrate on those songs was crazy high - over 800kbit/s.  I decided to convert the songs to a more appropriate bit rate(320) and that did the trick.  Sonos recognized the artist and the songs I converted.  

Well done, thank you.

Additional information - I checked another one of the albums that Sonos didn’t “see” and found the songs were 256kbit/s.  I converted these to 320 and now Sonos sees that album also.

Another win.  So, not just high bit rate but low also maybe?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

List of formats shows “WMA up to 320kbps” but doesn’t mention lower as an issue.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

What happens when you ‘convert’ one, as a test? I was unaware of a lower limit as well, but could easily see either a ‘lower’ limit, or a non-standard (not a power of two, for instance) conformity being an issue. 

I’m not so sure of the lower limit as an issue so much as I am wondering if it’s just the file getting modified in some way that is the actual resolution for the lower bitrate songs that weren’t showing up in Sonos.  I changed another album where the songs were at 256kbps and it appeared in Sonos also. That’s 3 albums that I have modified the bit rate on and they showed up in Sonos when before they didn’t.    Yet, I have other songs at the lower bitrate that show up in Sonos, no problem.  I think I’m leaning more towards the lower bitrate songs being modified as the resolution?

I modified the bitrate on a single song in an album that didn’t show up and that song and artist showed up but not the rest of the album until I modified them also.

what ya think?

Don’t know, sorry. Your test suggests there is something else going on, but that’s speculation. 

I’d be tempted to try opening one that isn’t being read currently, then do a ‘save as’ and not change anything but the name. That would suggest to me that the original ‘rip’ was ‘wrong’ in some way, although how, I have no idea. Bad characters in the metadata? It really is perplexing, if that indeed works. On the other hand, you have a potential solution. Years ago, I used mp3tag (haven’t opened it in a long time) to modify multiple files at the same time, it may be worth looking if that’s a possibility for your situation, so you don’t have to do each file individually.

I continue to be interested, although at this point I’m not sure I’m really helping.