Skip to main content

Make the SONOS Protocol Open Source

• 17 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Sadly, Sonos has proven that it is unable to create a good mobile application.

Instead, it made the life of everyone worse. It also did not comment on rolling back to the previous version, which worked well.

Sonos should focus on creating things they do well: hardware.

Sonos should open source the protocols to connect to their speakers and provide stable apis to work with them. That way, open source developers can create their own products that work with Sonos. None of us users is then forced to deal with the bad decision making that happened.

Sonos: please rollback to the previous version first. Make the protocols to connect to your hardware available free and open source, so we users can build or use alternatives.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

...and what about the device firmware?  A lot of the logic is contained within this part of the IT architecture..

Badge +2

...and what about the device firmware?  A lot of the logic is contained within this part of the IT architecture..

I doubt that the mobile app access device firmware logic. 

However, I prefer all software to be open source, but in this case, making the connection protocol to sonos speakers public would already do the trick

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

It'll never be open source, but the APIs always existed, are published and free to use:

developer.sonos.com

It'll never be open source, but the APIs always existed, are published and free to use:

developer.sonos.com

I don’t know about never, but as long as the software patents have value, Sonos isn’t just going to give it away.

Yes, because Open Source was so beneficial for Squeezebox.