Skip to main content
Answered

MAC OS Sonoma streaming youtube takes 15-20 seconds before O hear sound

• 13 November 2023
  • 12 replies

Hi there,

after the latest Sonoma update 14.1.1. streaming to sonos works without wifi enabled for me… but another issue remains:

I am straming a youtube video… From the sound menue I have selected the sonos speaker I want to stream the sound to. Video starts, it takes 1-2 seconds before the sound can be heared… OK… Now I am pausing the stream to fiulfill another task… coming back to the youtube stream and starting it again: the video runs but for the sound I have to wait 15 seconds to come back….NOT Acceptable.. any hints?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @lemonbiter,

As you’re streaming YouTube to your Sonos, does this still happen when you use a different audio source to AirPlay to Sonos? What happens if you AirPlay from a different audio browser, do you still have the same issue where it takes a while to start playing after pausing?

We do recommend using AirPlay 2 when streaming to Sonos as AirPlay 1 can cause delays or audio interruptions. Since you are running the latest software I assume you are using AirPlay 2, but I would recommend checking to make sure you are.

I would also recommend reaching out to our support team for further troubleshooting, as they have the necessary tools available to help assist you with this issue.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Apple pushed an update to Sonoma to fix audio issues, I saw on reddit. YMMV.

Badge

Hi there and thanks for your feedback,

I am havin the exakct same issue when watchinga  movie in quicktime or VLC, when streaming a video from Chrome or Safari.
NOTE: I have tried the same streaming and playing videos on a my Macbook Pro that has an i7 Processor and is running Ventura… The notebook has NO issue at all. It is down to eithe M2 to Sonoma I sassue

I habe downloaded the latest Sonoma update 14.1.1. prior my post… Unfortunately that hasn’t change anyting

Badge

Apple pushed an update to Sonoma to fix audio issues, I saw on reddit. YMMV.

Was it 14.1.1.?
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @lemonbiter 

Jamie is now on holiday, but I got an answer from our colleague which I will relay to you:

Having discussed and tested, I can confirm this comes down to the differences between Airplay 1 (Legacy) and Airplay 2 (Buffered), along with how the Airplay connection is established. For the best results, users should open YouTube via Safari and Airplay from YouTube and the Video itself, opposed to the Control Centre. This will ensure Buffered, Airplay 2 is used. If using Chrome as a browser, YouTube within and initiating Airplay from the Control Centre, we’re using Legacy Airplay, aka Airplay 1, and interruptions will not be guaranteed, but can be expected.

So, if you are using AirPlay v1, interruptions are not a fault, but in fact expected behaviour. This is why we do not support the use of AirPlay v1. We recommend you use Safari and initiate AirPlay from within the YouTube tab on it, which will ensure the use of buffered AirPlay v2.

Please also ensure Sonos and Sonoma are fully up-to-date.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @lemonbiter 

Jamie is now on holiday, but I got an answer from our colleague which I will relay to you:

Having discussed and tested, I can confirm this comes down to the differences between Airplay 1 (Legacy) and Airplay 2 (Buffered), along with how the Airplay connection is established. For the best results, users should open YouTube via Safari and Airplay from YouTube and the Video itself, opposed to the Control Centre. This will ensure Buffered, Airplay 2 is used. If using Chrome as a browser, YouTube within and initiating Airplay from the Control Centre, we’re using Legacy Airplay, aka Airplay 1, and interruptions will not be guaranteed, but can be expected.

So, if you are using AirPlay v1, interruptions are not a fault, but in fact expected behaviour. This is why we do not support the use of AirPlay v1. We recommend you use Safari and initiate AirPlay from within the YouTube tab on it, which will ensure the use of buffered AirPlay v2.

Please also ensure Sonos and Sonoma are fully up-to-date.

I hope this helps.

Corry many thanks for digging in. I understand what you wrote. And yes, I have tested Safari for this matter too with no difference. Havin the same issue with quicktime that I tried instead of VLC… same thing
Also a interruption of lets say 2 seconds is acceptable but 35 seconds is def. not. If I manually switch - when having this issue - to embedded mac speaker and than switch to sonos back the interuption is not given… So there is def. an issue…
Thanks

LEM

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @lemonbiter 

Just to make sure, you are initiating the AirPlay connection from within Safari, and not Control Centre?

If that is the case, then I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports (if rebooting your Mac, your router and your speaker doesn’t help).

I hope this helps..

Badge

Corry Thanks for getting into this. Yes, I can do that for youtube in Safari. But what about Chrome, or quicktime or VLC player… There is no such option. Do you have a macM2 and a sonos device?

I understand it might be an Airplay1 issue… but I am having the exact same issue streaming to a sonos arc… 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @lemonbiter 

I’d love to be able to compare behaviours to assist, but I do not own any Apple devices (and nor will I), nor do I have access to any (working from home). As I understand it, my colleague uses it daily, as described in the yellow box above - that text was from him. I think he mentioned that if he has paused and is likely to experience a delay, he just breaks and recreates the link between the devices before playing again.

If those applications do not supply a method to initiate an AirPlay v2 connection, I can only recommend asking that they do as a feature request to the relevant companies.

If you get delays or interruptions when using AirPlay v2, please get in touch with our technical support team - finding out what the speakers say about the connection may be invaluable.

Of course, if you haven’t rebooted every device involved in the procedure (including the router), please do so.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @lemonbiter 

I’d love to be able to compare behaviours to assist, but I do not own any Apple devices (and nor will I), nor do I have access to any (working from home). As I understand it, my colleague uses it daily, as described in the yellow box above - that text was from him. I think he mentioned that if he has paused and is likely to experience a delay, he just breaks and recreates the link between the devices before playing again.

If those applications do not supply a method to initiate an AirPlay v2 connection, I can only recommend asking that they do as a feature request to the relevant companies.

If you get delays or interruptions when using AirPlay v2, please get in touch with our technical support team - finding out what the speakers say about the connection may be invaluable.

Of course, if you haven’t rebooted every device involved in the procedure (including the router), please do so.

I hope this helps.

Dear Corry,

I understand what Jamie said, but this is not something one could live with. I am pretty sure that this is nothing anyone could libe with. As mentioned earlier, the behavior is WITHOUT any issues different on my macbook that is using the older OS. It works like a charme there under the very same conditions… So it it something either Apple or you must be able to change. I will contact the service again. thanks

LEM

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @lemonbiter 

If behaviour is different from different devices, then please make sure you mention as much when getting in touch. But yes, this also implies that Apple have perhaps changed something, and it may be up to them to fix.

Badge

Hi @lemonbiter 

If behaviour is different from different devices, then please make sure you mention as much when getting in touch. But yes, this also implies that Apple have perhaps changed something, and it may be up to them to fix.

I did mention this:

NOTE: I have tried the same streaming and playing videos on a my Macbook Pro that has an i7 Processor and is running Ventura… The notebook has NO issue at all. It is down to eithe M2 to Sonoma I sassue