library playlists

• 6 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

After entering about half of the albums I want into a playlist, it will not allow any more albums. Recieve a message “unable to add …..to ….playlist.  These are albums on my computer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

How many albums have you put into the list?

There’s a limit to a playlist size - and I think Sonos will need to use the track names rather than the album name in the playlist. 

@ilc3 
I personally find that straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, as a single ‘one-line’ entry, seems to work best for each .m3u playlist.

Here are a couple of ‘example’ entries (as seen in a text editor) to hopefully demonstrate what I mean, but clearly your own network path will be different:

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\Stagnation.flac

I also chose to strip out everything else from the playlist file, including these ‘directive extensions’…

• #EXTM3U - file header
  • #EXTINF: - track information/title

Note: Some .m3u playlist files may contain other types of ‘extensions’, which can all be removed. See this link :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

The extensions are not required for Sonos use, so I find removing ALL work best for speed of loading the playlist.

In addition to the format stated above, the netbios name of the host NAS/PC also works well in place of the LAN IP address. Example:

\\MyWindowsPC\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

I have gone onto convert all my playlists to the above format and have just opted to place them in a separate folder within the local library, but they can be stored anywhere in the library that you’re indexing when using the UNC path for each track.

Using the above method I was able to get a 25,000+ playlist load to a Sonos player queue in a matter of a few seconds, well within the 15 second timeout period.

Anyhow, I hope that assists.

After entering about half of the albums I want into a playlist, it will not allow any more albums. Recieve a message “unable to add …..to ….playlist.  These are albums on my computer.

What kind of playlist? A Sonos Playlist? iTunes? Imported (M3U, PLS) playlist?

Which specific action triggers the “unable to add” message? 

Badge

If there is a limit to the size of a Sonos playlist, what would it be. I find no reference to that in Sonos information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Probably, might vary on S1 and S2 too but both likely will have the 15 second limit.

Ken’s suggestions are probably your best bet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If there is a limit to the size of a Sonos playlist, what would it be. I find no reference to that in Sonos information.

I can’t recall if there is a size limit on Sonos playlists. The largest one I can find on my system is 3200 items (on an S2 system), no issues with that.

I reckon if the NAS, or computer, local music library is wired to the LAN with a gigabit connection you could get around 75,000+ tracks loaded in less than 15 seconds - I am able to get 25,500+ tracks loaded from my local library in less than 5 seconds as seen here (tested a few minutes ago)…

If someone can get 75,000 tracks loaded to a Sonos room queue, at just 3 minutes per track, then that’s over 156 days of music playback (at 24 hours per day)… or if playing just for 8 hours per day, then it will take 15+ months to listen to every track. Who really needs that sort of playlist? 

Although I made the  ‘All-NAS-library’ 25k+ playlist, just to see if it would work, I can’t see me ever sitting down to listen to it from start to finish, particularly as most tracks are far longer than 3 minutes.  Normally my own playlists are no more than one, or two, hundred tracks. I find that’s plenty to be going on with.