Skip to main content

Libby in the new 2024 Sonos App

• 20 May 2024
  • 6 replies

The Libby program will NOT start at the same point of the book.  The old APP did do this

If I listen to a Libby book on JUST my phone for 1 hour and pause.  Then I move to the new Sonos APP, and choose the Libby Book - the book starts over.

The Sonos Controller for PC version 16.2 STILL works correctly.  The prior Sonos APP did work as well.  The new APP does NOT work.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I having similar problems with theLibby ap. just spent a couple of hours rebuilding my system with this utterly useless upgrade…did i see somewhere that Sonos were proud of this exciting upgrade!!!!… really. Test your products properly before publishing….. so if anyone from Sonos reads these things (which I doubt because you never see any contribution from anyone connected to them…no apologies, reassuring words)…. Libby App…does not work AT ALL any more… fix it.

I’ve just added Libby to my iPhone app, but it is not displaying any content. Also added it to my desktop PC with similar outcome. getting message that Cant search music”.

Update to my earlier post, maybe I need to be more patient. My Libby loan item now displaying in both the desktop and iOS apps.

I’m having the same problem trying to navigate Libby on Sonos. The app starts over from the beginning even switching from one Apple device to another. On the IPad there are no chapters (or even groups of chapters like on the iPhone) so you have to go forward and back until you find where you left off. It’s too bad because it’s nicer listening to the Sonos speakers than the device speakers. It also takes a few tries before you can successfully switch from one room to another. Very frustrating for sure. 

I too have found the integration with Libby has taken a big step backward with the 2024 update.

Before this update I could navigate through my books in a manner similar to the Libby app on my Adroid.  It wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t bad. Chapter navigation, bookmarks, etc tended to align with the Libby app so I could listen in the car, and easily find my spot when I got home to my Sonos setup. 

Now all I see is a timeline with numbers that have no contextual information and that don’t align with anything in the Libby app.  For example, I have book that is 8 hours long.  On Sonos the timeline is about an hour.  It almost aligns with the first chapter length but then subsequently hitting the Forward icon does not jump forward chapters as shown in Libby.  It just moves arbitrarily forward - sometimes a chapter, sometimes 3 or 4 chapters.

Additional aggravation comes when attempting to move forward/backward just a few minutes using the marker on the timeline. It is an exercise in futility. The numbers indicating progress don’t update until you release the marker and the scale is variable so it’s pure guesswork (and I always guess wrong!)

Big step backwards that has left me avoiding Libby on Sonos and wondering “Why did they mess this up?”

I'm experiencing a similar issue with the Libby app not resuming at the same spot in my book. When I switch from listening on my phone to the new Sonos app, the book starts from the beginning again. The older Sonos app didn't have this problem, and it seems the PC version 16.2 still works correctly. It's frustrating, as I really enjoyed the seamless experience before. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.